Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have never noticed that I had eczema before in my life. Halfway through the twins pregnancy, I started itching around my ankles every night during the winter. I was thinking something must have irritated me in my socks or I picked up some bacteria getting a pedicure. It went away for the most part...until now. Almost 3 months preggo with another baby and my legs are a mess. Now I'm not sure if this started before my pregnancy because I was sure I had ringworm and DP who has horrible eczema told me that it was not ringworm. It finally went away. Recently came back and is on both legs and flares up mostly at night. The only thing I've been doing for it is some aveeno cream for eczema. Anyone ever heard of or had this??? One of my daughters has some non-itchy eczema, but they are half english and have very pale skin just like their dad who also suffers from eczema. I've just never encountered this before and I don't know why pregnancy is causing these flare-ups. Natural remedies would be helpful also. Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I wish I had wisdom for you... but I am dealing with a very similar problem. I've had dry skin... but never to this degree!! Mine started off with a viscious itch, when scratched that turned into a bumpy red rash, and after removing major allergens from my diet, the rash went away, but the itch didn't. Now I have what looks like leg dandruff. My skin is so darn dry, despite high-quality coconut oil-based really-pure lotion/creams... I'm flaking. And itching. And scratching until I leave marks/bleed.
I thought mine was PUPPPS at first, and with yours itching at night, you might want to look into that. Although, like for me, 3 months is awfully early for PUPPPS.
Some alternative health types say the skin is linked to the liver... so herbs to support the liver ought to help. I've been taking milk thistle, dandelion, and nettle. Also, making sure you're getting enough fats and especially omega 3s is REALLY important.
I don't know WHY, but I have read that pregnancy often triggers eczema. Or, for women who've been battling it for a long time, pregnancy relieves their eczema. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I hear you on the itching! I have bad skin to begin with and psoriasis, and that is flaring up right now. I'm also getting these little hive like things all over that itch like you wouldn't believe. It's miserable. It seems worse at night for me too.

Hopefully we can get some help from this thread and stop itching ourselves raw.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My ds2 has eczema, and what has really helped him is using California Baby bath products and also about 15 minutes of direct sunlight (no sunblock) a day. We've been doing this all summer and his skin is the best it's ever been. Hope you find relief soon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. This happened to me when I was pg with ds. It went away almost the minute he was born. It was so uncomfortable though. I never could find anything that helped. I really hope that it doesn't happen again with this pregnancy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
For my eczema taking a teaspoon of Nordic Naturals fish oil has helped a LOT - i mix it in grapefruit juice. It has totally reduced the inflammation in my skin.

I also immeidately moisturize with Baby Naturals Eczema Cream (it has winnie the pooh characters on it and is in the baby aisle) after getting out of the shower and that helps heal the skin too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Not long after I first posted, it seemed to clear up a little. I think that just making sure I didn't scratch at all helped. We'll see if it last, especially with winter coming on. That's when it bothered me the most during the twins' pregnancy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have it too! Dyshydrotic eczema, apparently. It's manifested in these tiny little blister/bumps all over my hands and feet, and I've never had anything like it before. It's so itchy that scratching it is like a tiny orgasm.

I've been using the Aveeno cream, and rubbing peppermint lotion on it seems to numb it enough that I scratch less (which in turn calms my skin down a bit). Also, at night I put an ice pack in a pillowcase and keep it on my feet, which seems to do a good job with the numbing/soothing. I've also heard that doing an apple cider vinegar soak can help.

It's pretty uncomfortable though, so I feel your pain. I went to my PCP and she gave me a prescription for steroid cream that I refuse to fill. I figure I'll just suck it up and use home remedies.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonianBaby View Post
It's so itchy that scratching it is like a tiny orgasm.
That just cracked me up! I totally understand, I have terrible itching and I try try try not to itch, but when its really really bad and I cant take it anymore I "treat myself" to a good scratch with my hairbrush. I tell DH that it brings me more pleasure than he ever has.
:

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I was pregnant for my son I got Pupps. I tried every home rememdy under the sun and not a single thing worked. THe things that worked the best were aveeno baths and steroid cream from my doctor. After my baby was born I had eczema for almost a year afterwards. The best thing for that was aquafor. It worked great. I use it for everything now. It especially works great for diaper rash on my son. My dermatologist recommended it to me.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonianBaby View Post
It's so itchy that scratching it is like a tiny orgasm.
I TOTALLY know what you mean!! I've had eczema since I was a baby. I was so bad that as a child I scratched in my sleep and frequently scratched myself bloody. Thankfully, being pregnant seems to have made it go away
:

Here are some things that work for me. After the shower (keeping to cool keeps the skin from drying as much) pat, don't rub dry and apply good lotion in the same direction as hair growth.

Lotions with stearic acid high in the ingredient list seems to irritate my eczema.

Direct sunlight does help.

Hope ya'll find some relief. I feel for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.