Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have slept through the night this pregnancy and I am 42 wks pg. I have been up since 2:30 and it is now 5:30

Beth

·
Registered
756 Posts
Me, me, me! I just had my first sleepless night and I'm just over four weeks, too. I finally realized I had to pee, and eat, and I was ready to go back to sleep just when dd woke up to nurse. Ugh. Only 36 weeks to go...!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was doing okay in the beginning, now I'm in my third-tri and can barely sleep for 2 hours straight. I'm always getting up to empty my bladder, but sometimes I just wake up from being so darn uncomfortable! Plus the summer heat isn't helping anything......

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I'm glad I'm used to this because of my toddler not sleeping all night long, or I'd go crazy. I'm waking up atleast 4 times a night for no reason at all, plus another 2-3 or more for my daughter. No wonder I'm passing out at 2pm when DD is sleeping and nodding off on the couch at 9pm

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have been in the same boat. I get really sleepy around 8pm every night, but when I crawl into bed it takes forever to get to sleep. I also usually wake up an hour before my alarm goes off. I have never had problems sleeping. Usually I am out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow. Ugh!
BTW, I am 5w4d.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, I feel ya! I'm 38 wks, and have been up since 3am. It's 10am now. I haven't slept well for a couple of weeks. I went through this the first trimester, then I started sleeping, but it started back these past few weeks. So, I'm sorry. I guess I'll see you at 2am here tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Absolutely. I have trouble falling asleep and then wake up at my former temping time (6:30) and have trouble getting back to sleep. I have always had to get up in the middle of the night to pee and eat, and that doesn't seem any worse quite yet (I'm only 6 weeks along) but I'm so energized with this pregnancy that it's hard to just let go and give my body what it needs.

Mostly I seem to be functioning on minimal sleep, but every now and then it hits me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went through a phase early on when sleeping was difficult. It got better again later though. But I recommend drinking LOADS of water during the day (the earlier the better
) I've been doing my 8 glasses a day and I've honestly never slept so well in a pregnancy. Ironically, I have LESS need to pee in the night than when I wasn't drinking that much...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here's a tip:

Try valerian root tincture before bed. Just put the dose (usually 30 drops, I think) into a glass of juice right before you turn in for the night. Works beautifully, and is safe in the short term. Also, Nature's Sunshine makes an "Herbal Sleep" which contains valerian and other herbs which has worked for me as well. Also, if you aren't already, take a CalMg supplement before bed.

I couldn't sleep almost my ENTIRE first trimester . . . got so bad I was hallucinating
: . Then I discovered the above remedy and got back to normal! I hope that you all are able to find sleep.

HTH!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
Oh my gosh, I am so tired, but having the worst time sleeping and I'm barely 4weeks pregnant. It's around 4 am right now and I've been up since 2.

Anyone else out there??
I have insomnia anyway I can't get my brain to shut off. During pregnancy it is so much worse. I talked to my midwife and we settled on a tincture for me to take. I take a dropper full of Skullcap every night. I still wake up but I can fall back asleep instead of laying there going nuts.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
The insomnia sucked for me early on. I actually posted a blog on myspace about it, before I even knew I was pregnant. It got better for me by about 8 or 9 weeks. Now I just have to get up to go to the bathroom three times a night.
Make sure you're not going to bed hungry--that'll wake you up fo sho.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes, and it's horrid.

Kristen, thanks for the valerian tip. I wasn't sure what was safe, as the melatonin I would usually take seems to be a no during pregnancy. Usually a pot of herbal tea and a warm bath would do the trick, but not lately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm at 21 weeks and I haven't been sleeping the whole way through. Usually I'll wake up at 2or 3 am and can't get to sleep until dawn, or sometimes I'll just stay up and go for a walk as soon as it is light. Then I'll be tired and weary all day.Wish Gardens herbals makes a "Sleepy Nights" tincture especially for pregnancy, and it helps sometimes. I'm looking forward to having a baby just so I'll have something to do when I can't sleep.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I had it really bady until about six weeks, when m/s kicked in.
I'm 24 weeks now and have it now more when I'm just stressed out or when I can't get comfortable in bed. Not nearly as badly as the first few weeks though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.