Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little itchy patch on my leg that my Dr. diagnosed as eczema (or similar) and prescribed hydrocortisone cream. I'm paranoid about taking anything during pregnancy, so I looked it up online and found out it's a class C drug during pregnancy - has been shown to cause birth defects in laboratory animals, even when only applied topically
I can't believe my doc prescribed this when he knew I was pregnant!

Anyway, does anyone know if any preggo-safe alternative treatment for eczema?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
i've used eucerin for my eczema in the past...or cetaphil (i think that's what it's called)...even aquaphor can help, though it's a lot greasier and more annoying. LOL

try not to get it too wet and when you shower, just pat it dry...leave it a bit moist if you can and put on one of those lotions.

and if the itchiness is killing you and you feel like you're gonna die if you don't scratch it, smack it instead. LOL just keep smacking yourself silly until the itch goes away. it works. LMAO

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips
I do have some aquaphor and also some natural ultra-moisturizer made by a wahm - I'll give them a try. And if all else fails, just whack it! :LOL

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dairy is the main cause for me.

Take a source of omega 3 daily. 6 and 9 too.

There are many homeopathic remedies one can try. I haven't used any but I have a friend that swears by them for eczema.

Keep the area really well exfoliated and then cover with grapeseed or almond oil. If I or my son get an irritated spot, I put an herbal salve on it oafter exfoliating and then often cover it with a bandaid.

I usually have no issues if I avoid dairy. If I have more than a small serving, I will get patches on my upper arms within 24 hours. My son's patches are on his knees and legs only. His is very diet related too.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
i had bad exczema for 15 years. i've finally cleared it up: it was all food sensitivities, which i suspected, but i never guessed i might have *20* foods on that list! however, it might be worth doing an elimination diet if you are brave and resourceful. the things i would avoid would be wheat, cow products (except butter) and sugar. you might also check tomato, strawberries, mushrooms...highly allergenic. there are many alternatives like goat milk, spelt and other grains, and stevia, for example.

if it is just about comfort in this one spot, you could try different non-toxic creams, and an exfoliating glove was a great scratching tool! it seemed to help take care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts