Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a 24 week prenatal appt and was given among other things the handout on the TDap they'll be trying to give me at one of my next visits... so annoying. Now I'm just fuming and trying to think of what I will say when they question my "No"- aside from pointing out that the manufacturer's inserts clearly state that no safety testing has been done on pregnancy/fetal development and that it is unknown whether the drug enters the mothers milk and is not recommended for nursing mothers.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Just had a 24 week prenatal appt and was given among other things the handout on the TDap they'll be trying to give me at one of my next visits... so annoying. Now I'm just fuming and trying to think of what I will say when they question my "No"- aside from pointing out that the manufacturer's inserts clearly state that no safety testing has been done on pregnancy/fetal development and that it is unknown whether the drug enters the mothers milk and is not recommended for nursing mothers.
Well actually it really does depend on how long ago you had it - just last year? Sorry, I just had one prior to being pregnant! :grin:

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
sErenbat - the conventional advice is to give the DaPT shot at each pregnancy, no matter how far apart they are.

Boonsey - if you do NOT want the DaPT shot, you should just say no and bring large, mean-looking male relatives with you to your next appointment and keep them at your side; that is the advice of Dr Robert S. Mendelsohn, MD from 30 yrs ago, and it is just as pertinent today.

Reactions: 95191

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
sErenbat - the conventional advice is to give the DaPT shot at each pregnancy, no matter how far apart they are.

Boonsey - if you do NOT want the DaPT shot, you should just say no and bring large, mean-looking male relatives with you to your next appointment and keep them at your side; that is the advice of Dr Robert S. Mendelsohn, MD from 30 yrs ago, and it is just as pertinent today.
Here's the line they give too!
“I strongly recommend that you get the Tdap shot today. I offer Tdap vaccination to all of my patients who need it. This includes pregnant women, who preferably should get the shot between 27 weeks and 36 weeks of gestation to maximize the maternal antibody transfer to the fetus. The vaccine is safe and effective and has not been shown to cause any adverse effects during pregnancy, including autism. Your family members who will be in contact with your newborn, or who have contact with other infants younger than 12 months, also should be vaccinated. This helps provide protection for your newborn because he or she cannot get this vaccination until 2 months of age.”
http://www.acog.org/-/media/Departments/Immunization/2013TdapMailingSmall.pdf

I did read something but I can't find it at the moment where if you have multiple pregnancies within a short time (with in 3 months of giving birth) they didn't recommend it because of the T part.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
I wouldn't try to explain your position. Just say no. And if you can bring along a large male relative (tattoos optional) or a sinister looking female friend/relative, that can help. I think they are less likely to bully you if you have a friend along.

Don't give them an opening for debate.

·
Registered
669 Posts
A No, thanks with no explanation necessary. You do not need to explain yourself. Period.
But the advice to bring a relative/ friend along who you give clear advise to, that under no circumstances is anybody allowed to administer shots to you.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Rather sad that we need bodyguards when we give birth or visit the doctor.

Perhaps teens need bodyguards to protect them from Gardasil attacks!?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/tdap-vaccine-pushed-on-pregnant-women-despite-fetal-risks/
The truth is that the Tdap shot has never been proven safe for use during pregnancy. In fact, Tdap is classified by the FDA as a Class C drug.
The definition of a Class C drug which is how the Tdap shot is classified:
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I'm submitting a third vote for not explaining the "no." Just use infinite rounds of evasion and eyelash batting: "No thank you." "It's just not something I'm going to do." "Thank you for your concern. I will be declining and do not wish to discuss the matter."

I used to work in sales. Training sessions involved learning all of the objections and memorizing counter-objections to deliver back. These people aren't interested in a heartfelt dialogue, only in persuading you to comply.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We got that offered to us this morning... ugh. the wifey said no to the nurse, and the nurse had that puzzled look and left.
Doctor comes in and ask again... we just asked for more information to avoid the topic. She is a great doctor, so I did not want to have that conversation.
We will go back next week, I am sure we will get questioned again.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
We got that offered to us this morning... ugh. the wifey said no to the nurse, and the nurse had that puzzled look and left.
Doctor comes in and ask again... we just asked for more information to avoid the topic. She is a great doctor, so I did not want to have that conversation.
We will go back next week, I am sure we will get questioned again.
that's when you ask, 'We would like some scientific literature on safety of this during pregnancy -- do you have some we can bring home to look over to help us decide?'

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
that's when you ask, 'We would like some scientific literature on safety of this during pregnancy -- do you have some we can bring home to look over to help us decide?'
good idea, always put the burden on the vaccine pusher :grin:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
and then, when the dr gives you totally biased reports, pick those apart, and at the next appt, question him about the authors of the study, what financial motives they had to write the study, affiliation with with which pharmaceutical company they are working for, etc, etc...and bring your own back up literature, too.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
That is why doctors HATE to have real conversations with vaccine critics.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
78 Posts
Now is the perfect time to learn how to say no to someone in a position of authority. Practice now! You do not need to justify your decision to any nurse or doctor. I always found it easier to avoid discussions and flat out refuse. 'No' 'I do not consent' and 'I refuse' are powerful statements and it would be wise of you to have experience in using them. Making healthcare decisions for yourself means saying no sometimes, and that's OK. It will be fine!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Now is the perfect time to learn how to say no to someone in a position of authority. Practice now! You do not need to justify your decision to any nurse or doctor. I always found it easier to avoid discussions and flat out refuse. 'No' 'I do not consent' and 'I refuse' are powerful statements and it would be wise of you to have experience in using them. Making healthcare decisions for yourself means saying no sometimes, and that's OK. It will be fine!
depending on the dr, too...sometimes saying 'no' means getting put in your file you are a 'noncompliant' patient who must be dealt with a little more harshly in the future. It's happened to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
depending on the dr, too...sometimes saying 'no' means getting put in your file you are a 'noncompliant' patient who must be dealt with a little more harshly in the future. It's happened to me.
That could happen, sure. How were you treating differently after refusing?

When my first was a baby, I did the run - around 'not today maybe yes I'll take your literature' and I got asked every visit, which for well baby visits is often. Two children later, and I had made it clear to my child's doctor that we won't be vaccinating at all. I can tell he doesn't agree, but hasn't given me grief about it. If your doctor is going to treat you like that, perhaps you should find a new one.

We should be honest with our doctors, right?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
That could happen, sure. How were you treating differently after refusing?

When my first was a baby, I did the run - around 'not today maybe yes I'll take your literature' and I got asked every visit, which for well baby visits is often. Two children later, and I had made it clear to my child's doctor that we won't be vaccinating at all. I can tell he doesn't agree, but hasn't given me grief about it. If your doctor is going to treat you like that, perhaps you should find a new one.

We should be honest with our doctors, right?
a pain management place i went to kept me waiting so long, it was beginning to jeopardize my safety in ability to drive home...it took them an hour an a half to get nowhere and again i was told, 'just a few more minutes'.. at that point, i said i had to leave, as my muscles were knotting up going into tremors, and then i can hardly move, walk, or let alone, drive.. - no one with me, I was alone, they knew this too... They got very hostile with me about leaving, tried their hardest to get me to stay. Then they put in my file i was 'noncompliant' and my neuro dr yelled at me about it before ever hearing about what happened. He got fired too. My cardio dr got fired for having inaccurate info in my file with a major medical mistake, attempting to foist off Lipitor on me without proof of my needing this medication, his nurse encouraged me to lie to the heart monitoring company about my phone - supposed to use a landline to transmit data - she told me to lie and say i was on one, when i wasn't, because all i had was a cell ph at the time, and lastly, he denied me access to needed foot surgery after i had already been cleared by my pcp and the surgical pre op physicals. Turned out all my cholesterol levels are fine. Lipitor not needed, and I wouldn't take that stuff anyways, after what i read up on it.

my pcp uses an automatic BP cuff attached to a mutli use machine -- when it said i had a BP near heart attack numbers, the nurse got all worried, checked it again on the other arm, same kind of reading, started asking me questions...and i calmly told her to use the manual way to check it and she tried to tell the machines are 'usually pretty accurate'.....wouldn't you know--using the old fashioned manual way, where the nurse actually had to do a little bit of work involved, it was in normal range, just as i suspected!! their machine told her i was near heart attack mode, and she was all ready to believe the machine. She disappeared before i could ask the last time the machine was calibrated, and how often. Sure as heck makes me wonder how many patients are getting a false reading like i did, and then believing they have high blood pressure. Either that office gets with the program or they're fired too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts