Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really NOT an irresponsible pet owner! The woman who gave me Rosie said she was spayed! I never thought to check. I have had her 4 years and saw no sign of heat. No sign of a surgical scar either, I now admit, but I didn't really look, either.

Anyway, horrible neighbor dog jumped the fence about 5 or 6 weeks ago, and I don't know what they were up to, or for how long. I returned him to his home when I heard them, and didn't think much of it.

Now, I think Rosie's belly is looking a bit fuller and rounder, and perhaps her nipples are enlarged. But it is subtle, and maybe I am looking too hard. No eating or behavior changes. When and how can you tell pregnancy in dogs?

P.S. She will be spayed as soon as this is over.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You could take her to your vet and explain what happened. It is possible to do a spay while the dog is pregnant, but it can be riskier (and more expensive). Im pretty sure there are ways for a vet to find out if the dog is pregnant.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Is she a long-haired dog? 'Cause if you can see the vulva and you never saw ANY signs of heat, no blood no swelling, the chances that she went through four years of completely silent heats and you never had interested dogs (if it's been the same neighbor dog for that long, he should have been mooning and whining and yelping at the fence for at least a few days every six months or so) are pretty low. And are you sure that the neighbor dog is intact?

If you really do think a breeding took place, if she is genuinely starting to show then any vet can just feel her belly and tell you that she's pregnant (the best vets can palpate at 23 days post breeding, so at 30-40 days it should be easy for any vet). An ultrasound is the definitive test, and can tell you approximately how far along she is and whether it's a big or small litter, so if your vet has u/s and it isn't too expensive (I've paid anywhere from $40 to $150), that will put your mind at ease.

She can be spayed pregnant, but I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
What Joanna said, I can generally feel pups that are 5-6 weeks along...however, we had a bitch who carried SO high and would drop the day before she welped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts