Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am getting worried about having a low milk supply. My DD is 9 months old and I plan on nursing her for as long as she wants. She nurses every few hours and is very interested in solid foods which she gets to try out a few times a day. When I tried pumping the other day (I use a hand pump) it was harder than usual to get any milk into the bottle, it took like 10 minutes to get almost an ounce. She seems to be thinning out, which I don't know if that is normal since she is moving around so much now? Also noticed that she has been having less wet diapers these past few days. Anyways, I am really worried. Is there any way to find out if you are producing enough milk? Anything I can do to boost production? What do I do when my colostrum comes in? Do I need to start supplementing her with other liquids? I don't want to have to use formula:(</p>
<p>She does drink a little bit of water from a glass and sippy cup every once in awhile. How do i make sure she is staying hydrated? What liquids are best to give her?</p>

·
Registered
630 Posts
<p>While your supply can and often does take a dip during pregnancy, one pumping session isn't going to tell you anything so I wouldn't worry too much about that one pumping session. Thinning out at 9 months is *completely* normal, breastmilk fat comes off super easy and once they start moving they slim up fast. Keep an eye on overall diapers is a good idea, but since the milk supply issue is hormonal there might not be a whole lot you can do besides nursing her more often (which she should request by herself if she wasn't getting enough). You can always do oatmeal, which is good for you anyway and won't hurt anything. Have you read up on tandem nursing? Kellymom has good info and there are a couple of good books out there, Adventures in Tandem Nursing comes to mind, they cover before the baby comes as well. That'll give you a better idea of what to look for and also reassure you on the normal stuff. </p>

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
<p>well she's eating solids too, right? we did baby led weaning, and it was very successful at getting him "independent" about eating... and feeding himself what and how much he wants.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>that said, i nursed through pregnancy, but my "baby" was around 3 years old, and verbal. she told me the milk was empty before i even knew i was pregnant. i told her to just keep nursing, and the milk would come back (eventually).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>if i were in your shoes, i would offer, offer, offer. let her have it as a comfort thing all.the.time. this is, if you are hoping to make it through your entire pregnancy nursing, and keep going in tandem once the new baby arrives. cosleep and let her nurse overnight too. that's the best time to get your best milk for your baby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>most people dry up some. although not necessarily completely.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>if i were you i would really push the solids (as offering... not spoon feeding) and continue to nurse. you should not have to do formula for the next 90 days. but do watch the wet diapers. are you opposed to giving something in a sippy cup, along with her meals in the high chair? i agree that sucking on a sippy takes some of a baby's desire for sucking your breasts; on the other hand, it is also an "independent" feeding thing, if they do it themselves.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>lots of luck! now and after the new baby comes!!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts