Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place but here goes:

DD is 15 (almost 16) months old and still nurses 1-3 times a day. I am 24 weeks pregnant. I know my milk has changed and I am not making much at all. She now has loose stools and I am wondering if it could be due to the colostrum she is mostly likely getting. Also, will there be enough colostrum for the new baby? She is also only nursing off the left side and has been for months now. Is this going to affect the supply in the other breast when the new baby arrives?

Sorry so many questions.....this is my first time nursing (while pregnant or not)!!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You will definitely have enough colostrum for the baby. Her nursing isn't going to affect your supply very much when the new baby is here, except for ensuring there is enough. Your newborn will be nursing much more, and so will be the main influence on production. (Milk is always made for the youngest baby.) I haven't had a problem with engorgement while tandem nursing, not like I did when I was nursing my first. The older kid could always be easily encouraged to nurse & relieve any incipient engorgement.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sabra, Thank you so much!!! I honestly never thought I would be still nursing her....I figured she would wean when the milk changed. I am so lucky though....I love it!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I found out I was pregnant a few days before my ds' first birthday. He kept nursing and I never lost my milk. I had enough colostrum for ds2 and my milk came in after 3 days I think. I had plenty of milk for both kiddos after ds2 was born and ds1 even got a bit of pudge from the milk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.