Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm 5 week pregnant and still nursing my 2 and a half year old son.
I wanted to nurse through pregnancy, but... I had a little bleeding. I't doesn't look so scaring, is just a pink stripe on the toilet paper. It happened three times since I've discovered to be pregnant, and a few others before the test (I was pregnant but I thought it was a pre-menstrual spotting).
The gynecologist that I've seen today said that it's not sure that is a risk of miscarriage until I'll take an ecography, but recommended bed rest, etc.
I didn't tell her that I am still nursing my son. He doesn't nurse so often, just to sleep and a bit when he wakes up. Four times a day and twice more or less during the night.
That's the situation. Anyone had the same experience? What do you think should I do, wean the kid cold turkey or anything else? I wouldn't wean him if not necessary...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Mama. I'm sorry you're going through this anxiety; hopefully it will turn out to be nothing. A lot of women have spotting early on, whether nursing or not, and have perfectly healthy pregnancies.

Miscarriages aren't caused by nursing. Some people say that if there is a history of miscarriage, you should stop nursing. I am of the opinion that if you are going to miscarry, there's nothing to be done (maybe progesterone supplements, if you have a diagnosis of low levels). Bed rest and weaning won't help. I miscarried last February, while nursing my older child. It was awful.
I was pregnant again the following month, and continued nursing. That pregnancy was perfect- my baby is now almost 6 months old.

I hope it turns out for the best! Keep nursing if you want to.

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Tomoe-
I breastfed through 2 healthy pregnancies, and had early spotting with all of my pregnancies, except for the last pregnancy that ironically I lost. I actually spotted like that on and off for about 3 months each time. I hope everything goes well, and will keep you in my thoughts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot, I feel better now. Just a question about progesterone. The doctor gave me a box of prometrium, and said that I "may" take that if I wanted. She didn't look like it was something important, like a sort of "placebo". Now I have a doubt. In the US is considered a safe drug if breastfeeding, while here in Italy is not. To take it or not to take? I hate drugs...

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Tomoe-
I have to say, that I would try to find a Midwife to see. Your dr. can test your progesterone levels to find out if they are low, and I am appalled that they just handed you medication you could take or not take! Maybe you could look into a practice that has midwives and obs if you are concerned about anything, but midwives tend to spend a longer time with you and usually are very supportive of bfing, so you don't have to be afraid to tell tehm you are still nursing. This is totally my opinion, but unless they tested my progesterone levels and they were low, I definately wouldn't take any medication that I didn't have to during pregnancy! Good luck, and hang in there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by race_kelly
Tomoe-
I have to say, that I would try to find a Midwife to see. Your dr. can test your progesterone levels to find out if they are low, and I am appalled that they just handed you medication you could take or not take!
Yes, and the doctor gave it to me without asking what was my medical history, if I have ilnesses or whatever... I'm going to see a midwife next week, definetely. I've contacted a midwife who is pro-natural birth.
I'm not going to take progesterone, I don't feel it to be safe.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I spotted at 6 weeks and I am almost 11 now, and am still nursing my 28 mo. old many times a day. I think if you are going to miscarry then there is nothing you can do about it, and making your older child quit nursing would be added trauma on both of you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.