Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may be pregnant and I am still nursing my 16 month old son. I didn't find out about my son till I was 3 months pregnant with him. I feel like I am weak and tired all the time and my period was supose to be here on friday and it still isn't here. I am scared that I won't be able to feed them both
I would like to know how much I have to eat and if someone could give me some resipies that I can use that are high in calories. I am trying to get out and get a preganancy test, but havn't got the chance, but I am so eager to find out if I am
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It is important to eat a healthy diet while pregnant and nursing, not just to add calories. While not all pregnant moms need vitamins, they may be needed by a pregnant, nursing mom.

It is important to get enough folic acid before and during the first few weeks of pregnancy. Low intake of folic acid has been linked to neural tube birth defects.

Sometimes a mom can be eating enough but still not gain enough weight during pregnancy. I weighed about 100 pounds when I got pregnant with my 2nd and 3rd babies. I didn't have any morning sickness but gained slowly during early pregnancy but did gain more towards the end.

You might try adding more fats to your diet if you really need to gain. It's better to add fats to healthy foods like vegetables and on wholegrain breads than to eat things like cookies.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Congratulations to you!

Eat lots of healthy foods. Drink lots of water.

Unfortunately, your milk may disappear or decrease during your pregnancy, but your son will adjust his intake of other foods and liquids to make up for the difference.

My dd, for example, started drinking lots of cow milk when my milk decreased and then disappeared during pregnancy. Now that our new baby is here, she completely refuses cow milk and wants to nurse much more.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Nursing during pregnancy is totally safe, and many women go on to tandem nurse (nursing 2 kids at once).
It is definatly important to up your nutrients so you will feel strong enough. Your body will provide for the youngest child ( the one in utero), your nursling next and you last. Do whatever you can to get the best quality food in you to be able to be at your best!

Just to add to the last poster, your milk also my NOT decrease. That doesn't happen to everyone.
With one of my nursing through pregancy experiences, my mild had definately decreased quite a bit, but my nursling was at the breast just as much- it clearly wasn't all about the milk for her. The other one quit nursing about 2 weeks before the baby was born cause he did't like the taste.
Congratualations again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.