Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is 3000 miles away from me. She is 13 weeks pregnant and other than some pretty gnarly morning sickness things are going well. The only book she has is called Great Expectations - Your All In One Resource For Prgnancy and Childbirth written by Sandie Jones and Marcie Jones.

Can anyone tell me if this is a "natural" pregnancy book? I don't want her to waste any of her time w/ a mainstream book. There are books I would love to buy for her, but I just don't have the money right now.

Has anyone read this??

TIA

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I second the Aviva Jill Romm book!
I love her books.

Never heard of the All in One (and I collect books on these subjects!) Maybe check out Amazon.com ? sometimes the user reviews give good hints about the content.

I can't help but mention A Good Birth, A Safe Birth, by Korte and Scaer, and William & Martha Sears' series of books...
good luck!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Henci Goer's book is good, but I can't remember the name right now. I also liked Sears "The Pregnancy Book" pretty well.

What about Mothering's new book, "Having a Baby Naturally"?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have never heard of that book either and I am a natural birth book junkie!

Send her a copy of The Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth by Henci Goer. It's a fabulous book that covers birth. It's not so out there that it would scare a mainstreamer, but it's brutally honest about the medical practice of birth and hints toward safer birthing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was given "Great Expectations" as a gift and am really enjoying it as a resource. It seems to fairly present ALL the options available, including home birth, with a definite bent towards the natural side of things. Its the kind of book you can pick up and scan for a while and has an AWESOME resource guide of web sites, organizations, etc that i've not seen in any other book

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
I really loved Birthing From Within by Pam England.

Also Ourselves as Mothers by Sheila Kitzinger, and Our Babies Ourselves (can't remember author).

And of course LLL's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

And Ariel Gore's Hipmama Survival Guide.

Feeling the book love!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.