Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Gwen. I'm living in another country and I won't give you all the drama but I'm pregnant and want to come back to the US to have the baby---I think. It's really complicated and I've got myself in kinda a bad situation. Anyone else in another country? Anyone else fly when pregnant. How far along? Anyone else ever have a baby in another country.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Hi! I wanted to respond even though I'm not in this situation. Check your airline to determine the rules for flight, but I'm pretty sure you can still fly through about 37 weeks pregnant. No matter what you do, it's really none of the airlines business what your pregnancy status is. I'd know their rules so you're ready, but I wouldn't say anything to anybody and I doubt they'll say anything to you. I've flown pregnant and no one asked any questions.

As far as having a baby in another country, it depends on what country. You need to consider their medical facilities and their laws regarding citizenship.

Another thing to consider is your support network. Taking care of a newborn is a lot of work (especially if you're a first time mom) and it's these times when it's good to have your support network around you.

Good luck! Stick around and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, depends on the country. I lived for a year in an African country and I would not have given birth there. I did meet an American woman who gave birth there and said emphatically that she would go home for the next one. Lots of different reasons I say that. On the other hand, I've known American women who gave birth in various European countries and were very happy with the experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Not quite the same thing, but I had a friend a few years ago who was living in the US while her husband was going to school, but flew home to Canada near the end of her pregnancy to have her baby. Their insurance would cover her prenatal appointments in the US, but not the birth.
I also knew a few different ladies who were military wives that flew home from Germary, and England to have their babies near their parents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts