Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All!

This is my first post to the forum, though I've been lurking for some time now. I am 26 wks along in my first pregnancy and would love to meet someone to share this great experience with! I have no pregnant friends, or friends with children even.

Anyone in the east williamsburg / bushwick area? I swear, there are only 20 year old hip college kids where i am in bushwick....

Also, has anyone birthed with the midwives at Beth Isreal? I've been doing my prenatal care with them; they are nice enough and a great alternative to a traditional doc, but I still am attached to having a home birth. I'm afraid I will be offered drugs at a time during my birth where I may be too weak to say "no!". I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with the B.I. midwives!

Thanks so much!

Lisa

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whattup Brooklyn!!!
There are a lot of great homebirth midwives through out Brooklyn, but an intermediate compromise may be to check out the Brooklyn Birth Center, it's a freestanding birth center. My best suggestions for linking up with other "on the vibe" mama's would be to check out one of the babywearing meetings. slingslinthecity.com I think is it, or an attachment parenting meeting. Both you can find also by yahoo groups.

Congratulations mama!!!
I wish you a peaceful and strong pregnancy!

·
Registered
137 Posts
We were at BI with the midwives. I think the midwives are incredible women who were nothing but supportive and did everything in their power to prevent a c-section from ocurring. We did have a vaginal delivery, but it ended up not being totally "natural". In saying that, the postpartum experience was not very good at all. We had major problems with the nurses in the maternity ward. In fact, if I were to get pregnant again, I would seriously consider having a homebirth, even after all of our complications with our first birth. Hope this helps! If you would like more info about Beth Israel, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
If you're considering changing providers, I would highly recommend Joan Bryson (718) 788 0595. She primarily does homebirths, but also does planned birth center and hospital births. She has priveleges at St Vincent's and at LICH. I had a planned hospital birth (I have a blood clotting disorder and previous stillbirth) with her at St Vincents and it was amazing. She labored with me the whole time and did what I wanted her to do- sit back and leave me alone when I needed it and to step up more when I needed that too. She is very balanced and is an incredible partner to the women she works with.
Feel free to pm me with any questions at all. I'm ready for another after my experience with her!
Oh, she will be on an episode of a baby's story towards the end of the month, by the way.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Hi Lisa,

The very best thing I did for my soul during my first pregnancy is take a Prenatal Yoga class. I made friends there. I LOVED (and needed to be) being in the same room with other pregnancy women.

There seems to be a ton of great choices in NYC now. Here is one in Brooklyn. I so regret not being able to do Baby & Me Yoga with my 2nd born (impossible with my first... it was hard for me to secure a sitter for him... and I didn't learn about till late.
)

http://www.babyom.com/

Do yourself a favor... run to a class. Go every week. Get there early. Chat with people. Invite them out before or after class. Whatever....

I used to go twice a week and it really helped my body to feel good. Heck, go to 2 different locations!!! Meet and greet as many people as you can.

BTW, I was born in Bushwich and lived there for the first 4 years. My it's changed!!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for the advice! this was the first time i post to ANY online forum so i appreciate the kindness!

·
Registered
32 Posts
brooklyn lisa- I'm in Williamsburg (Bedford ave area) and have a 13 month old DS. There are tons of babies/preggies in the neighborhood so you might want to hop on the L train some time. I think Go Yoga in the Girdle Factory on Bedford has prenatal yoga classes and you'll want to know about Willy Bee's on Metropolitan (right between the Bedford L and Lorimer L stops). Willy Bee's is a family lounge with food and a baby play area and they have classes and parties there. Tons of great local parents and kids. I also heard that the Williamsburg library is starting a baby reading hour. I haven't been yet, but am hoping to start taking DS. email me sometime if you want to get together, omgrownmassage at yahoo dot com (no spaces)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.