Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went vegetarian about 2 months ago, but last week was desperately craving meat. I found out yesterday that
I am
and I think that may have something to do with it. I'm still nursing my son a lot; there are some days when he doesn't want solid food at all, and even when he does eat more than a few cheerios, he nurses at least 6-7 times/day and 3-5 times/night.

So.. is anyone else craving steak, or am I deficient in something? I've been taking a multivitamin and a b-complex, as well as a calcium supplement.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
My personal feeling is that cravings MEAN something, ymmv.

Are you vegan or do you eat eggs/ dairy?

If your B's are covered, I'd look and see if you're getting enough protein and iron.

I've nursed and been pregnant (though not at the same time) for three children while being vegetarian. While I never craved meat, I had a thing for eggs during my last pregnancy.

I think it would be important to look closely at your diet and figure the amounts of nutrients you're getting v what you need to nurture 3 beings.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would head on over to the vegfamily board. It is for vegans and vegetarians who are pregnant, raising children and the like. I'm sure it will be packed full of info for you!

hth
Amy

p.s. I was vegetarian + fish for my son's pregnancy and will be vegan for future pregnancies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I remember when I was pregnant craving meat and other foods I hadn't eaten in years. I think some was dietary needs, and some of it was more comfort food. I wanted the foods of my childhood, which wasn't always very healthy. In some cases I found more "natural" alternatives (but making tofu taste like a hot dog can't be a real good thing to eat either). I know the amount of protein prego mamas need is serious...80 grams a day? Some vege options that helped me were cottage cheese (highest proten in dairy even though I don't usually eat dairy), those little packets of fake jerky...can't remember the name), eggs...in so many ways..., and protein shakes. I know that sometimes our bodies need specific nutrients to absorb protein (like vitamin c). I think some folks also go for vitamin b shots rather than taking a supplement. I found I craved meat more strongly after birth...because I was depleted I guess. Take care of yourself! And congrats on the pregnancy!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.