Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old. I got pregnant last August or September and then miscarried in late November. It took a while for my periods to get back on track. DH was freaked out by the whole thing, the stress of having another baby, then the grief of not having another baby. Our marriage was stressed. I agreed to go on birth control to preserve things for awhile, me still hoping to have another baby, DH not wanting to have another one. I've been on the birth control for only 1 or 2 months now. I had a period on June 22nd or so, then started birth control, then had another period right on time according to the pack (which must have been near the end of July?). Nursing has been really painful lately, so I suspected pregnancy and voila! clear as can be, 2 lines (on 2 tests). So, how can this be? Am I really, really, early in the pregnancy? Like 3 weeks? How would that show up on a test already? Could I be slighly further along and the hormones from the birth control pills just made me have a period even though I was already pregnant at the end of July? Last (and saddest) possibility I can come up with, could I have had a missed miscarriage at the end of July and am still just having enough hormones to make the test positive? I don't remember my period being anything out of the ordinary, no lighter or heavier than usual. Also I'm on those projesterin only "mini-pills" if that makes any difference.

I am elated, but also very anxious. Of course I've been drinking buku coffee, taking cold medicine, and had a martini 3 out of the past 5 nights. Ugh. Most anxious though about telling DH and what his reaction might be.

I may cross-post this in the pregnancy after loss board too...

Thanks for any insight!

· Registered
9 Posts
I too got pregnant (right now, with my second as well)while on birth control and the way it sounds is that you are just very early in your pregnancy. I was only three weeks when my pregnancy test showed positive. I too drank and took meds before I knew that I was pregnant. My doctor encouraged me not to worry, just not to continue with drinking or meds of course. I am sorry I do not know about whether hormones can remain high after the loss of a baby. But, I am truly guessing you are just early on! Best of luck!

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Oh how confusing! It does sound very likely that you just tested positive fairly early, or another possibility is that you ovulated right after your last "period" so that you are further along than what we call "three weeks" usually is. (so even though usually three weeks along you would only be 7 dpo, perhaps you are more like 14dpo?) Good luck! I would bet DH would come around its not like you planned this.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I know someone who got pregnant on the mini-pill. While she was tandem nursing. The mini-pill is not as effective as the "regular" pill. So yes, it is quite possible that you got pregnant while taking the mini-pill and breastfeeding.

· Registered
382 Posts
I am wondering what happened to you. Are you pregnant... more pregnant than you thought? I just found out I am pregnant with #3 after being on the pill for 2 months. I took it every day at the exact same time. I guess it was a "lo" pill and I can't take this kind. News to me. I feel really weird and shocked. I was looking for some happy ending story.

Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
DD was a bc baby, too. I was very drunk in the weeks before I found out, living on junk food, and I was extremely worried. DD is a perfect and extremely intelligent 3 year old now!

· Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for the positive stories. I can't believe how many babies are BC babies. I really thought you could only get pregnant on the pill if you missed one. I am slowly getting use to the fact that I am really pregnant. I feel a little scammed because I hate bc pills and only was taking them to help my PMS. We figured we didn't need to use condoms as well then boom here I am pregnant again. It is sort of the last place I thought I would be. At the same time I feel like this little spirt must really want to come into the world so here we go ... back to baby land.

· Registered
6,198 Posts
The best thing to do would be to contact your doctor and have a test done in their office. They can check your levels too.
I've heard of other people getting pregnant while on BC pills but I never did. I always had to be off BC pills for at least 6 months before I'd even ovulate. Some people are just very fertile I guess.

Good luck with everything!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.