Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. About a month ago, some neighborhood children convinced me to take in this extremely sweet 6 mo. kitten whose family abandoned her when they moved. At first I thought the weight she has been putting on was due to good food and care........... but I'm certain now she is pregnant. She's got a big belly and even has a pregnancy kitty wobble, lol. (FTR, she's been an indoor cat since I've had her but lived outside before then.)<br><br>
She's probably about seven months old now. I've been feeding her kitten chow and giving her a blend of organic whole milk and plain yogurt every night. What other recommendations do you have for me? And I work long hours - is there any way to increase the odds of her birthing in the cat bed I made for her? I really don't want her gooing up all my clothes and new carpet, lol.<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
If you want her to kitten in a particular area, they confine her there. Perhaps if you have a bathroom, place the bed in there with her. She'd likely use if if she's forced to. Otherwise she'll birth in any area that is usually quiet/out of the way and she feels secure.<br><br>
As for a bed, I hope it is something you can easily wash! Cat births aren't necessarily super messy, but birth overall is a bit messy and it is NICE to have stuff that you can discard/clean easily.<br><br>
I had old towels I used that I could replace easily every day. I had a small "tent" that I set up for the mom, and she would be in there with her kittens...they seemed to feel secure in those.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
There's much better foods than kitten chow. It might be a good idea to switch her to something more substantial so she can get the nutrition she needs. There are different opinions on all the premium quality foods. <a href="http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandnutrition/tp/How-to-Choose-Cat-Food.htm" target="_blank">http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandn...e-Cat-Food.htm</a> <---- this is a good link explaining cat foods. She might even like a raw/semi cooked diet. The yogurt/milk might bring along digestion issues because cats aren't able to fully digest lactose. There's other supplements that are much better...cod liver oil, nutracal.<br><br><br>
Does she normally sleep in the bed? If you put it in a dark quiet place she may be more prone to birth there. I would just keep clothes up off the floor and keep closet doors closed....just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts