Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearing the end of my first trimester and am trying to see if there is anything I can do to prevent yeast infections.

I had many during my last pregnancy. My son was actually born with a diaper rash. He ended up diagnosised with Autism at three.

There is an argument that yeast overgrowth could have something to do with Autism, so I am very worried that I could have a repeat of the last pregnancy.

I am having pretty severe morning sickness and am pretty limited in what I can eat now. But, once that is over (hopefully!), I would like to have a plan.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Raquel

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I suffered HORRIBLY from yeast during my last pregnancy. My best line of defense was:

- No underwear (this can be difficult, especially when things get a little damp "down there" at some point during the pregnancy)

- No synthetic materials near your crotch....meaning, no pantyhose or synthetic pants/shorts. Only cotton.

- Eliminate sugar and fermented foods (with the exception of yogurt)

I always found relief at the start of feeling yeasty, to take a bath with 1/2 cup of baking soda mixed in. It just took the edge off of the itch/sting.

Good luck. Yeast is a nightmare!

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Oh mama - I feel your pain.

IansMommy gave you some good suggestions.

I agree avoiding all sugar/processed foods. I find that if I do that one simple step, I'm halfway to beating it most of the time.

Even if you can't go without underwear all the time, sleeping without them is a good idea.

You could take an acidophilous supplement as well or even liquid probiotics. The supplement is usually found in a vitamin aisle and probiotics in the refrigerator section - even something like kefir is a good thing. Yogurt is fine, but these things are a bit better, IME.

There are also some tinctures you might look at. ETA: I had recommended a couple of specific herbs, but double checked and neither is recommended for pregnancy. You might do some research to this end and see if there is anything out there recommended during pregnancy. Sorry I can't be more help - if I run across anything, I'll update this post.

Good luck! I hope the yeastie-beasties stay far, far away.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Also second the above suggestions and want to add taking apple cider vinegar every day.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Definitely take probiotics and restrict sugar and flour! Do this for your DS too if you aren't already.

The most helpful thing for candida for me has been enzymes. I take Candex, but there are other brands specifically for fighting yeast. They should be safe for pregnancy as they are just high doses of cellulase.

None of the other treatments I've tried have come close to helping with the yeast troubles I've had since the birth of my DD 16 months ago. This includes an arsenal of herbs, prescription drugs, mountains of probiotics, and strict diets.

About the autism/yeast link: Candida is not suspected to be a cause of autism, but a symptom. The same lack of ability to metabolize metals allows the yeast to overgrow. Yeast overgrowth is linked to hevy metal toxicity in general.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts