Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a doula/childbirth educator who works for a busy prenatal clinic, catering mostly to young, unwed moms w/o insurance... I recently met a woman about 1/2 way thru her pregnancy who clearly has anorexia. She has lost 10 lbs and just does not eat. period. She was verrrrry dizzy, obviously anemic with low BP, could barely hold herself up in my office during consultation.

I want to support her and encourage her, but need suggestions. I posted this on the midwifery board as well, but if any of you have experience with pregnancy and any eating disorder and are willing to share that would help me so much. I do not want to follow the usual "your baby needs you to eat, you must gain weight" tactic, I don't think that will help at all...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
the only things that comes to mind is this video i watched in a 7th grade health class i was subbing in last year. i think it was originally a made for tv movie, and probably at least 10 years old. it was based on the life of this aneroxic woman who was married to a politician (either a govenor or congressman, from california, i think). she later became pregnant and was aneroxic most of the pregnancy. she ended up having a healthy baby. her husband ended up becomign a member of bill clinton's cabinet or one of his close advisors.
i wish i could remember the name of the movie or the name of the woman. not sure if it would help this girl, but maybe it would help her see that she's not alone. anyone have a clue about who i'm talking about?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was bulemic/ anorexic for 3 years prior to becoming pregnant and had stopped about 7 months before conception with my husbands intervention. I am already a big girl before I got pregnant because of the disorders definately short term solutions. Anyway, It is really difficult for me to see how I look now and not get upset because I'm 6 months pregnant and have gained 30+ pounds. At times I think that I can't wait to have the baby so I can lose the weight. But, i'm going to breastfeeed so I know what I cannot do in order for my child to be healthy. My baby inside me has healed the disorder for me, along with my husbands help and a counselor. She just needs to know what she is doing to her baby and her body that needs to be healthy to care for her baby. It was enough for me. It' s still a battle, but I think I'm winning. I'll pray for her because I know it is very difficult. I worry about how I will handle weight loss after the baby comes but my husband looks after me and makes threats that seems to push me back into reality so...best of luck, I hope she gets it under control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.