Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my baby was diagnosed with labial adhesions. My dr. really worried me & I was pretty much pput on a guilt trip, thinking I caused this somehow.
Anywy I has been applying premarin cream 2x daily for 2 weeks. things seem to not be so stuck around the labia anymore.
Last night her skin all over wad red and also blotchy in areas. no fever but her skin seemed hot in areas,like a topical reaction. I cooled her down and it got better. This morning there us the right red skin back on her forearm.
I did search as to what the ream actually is! and side effects so am assuming it is related. I do not feel comfortable using this cream...at all. I was not given any advice nor shown what to do or how to help her so I've been left to internet searches, getting advice from people and still searching for a more natural doctor. I just can't believe I put that cream on her, having been told by dr. and several pharmacists there's no side effects so I didn't worry. Whether it is a reaction or not, I don't know, but would like to hear from parents who have been through this. What did you do? Can I just leave it alone?
In the meantime any advice? The adhesions return apparently no matter what? Where to get good information?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I understand the fear mongering. We were told surgery, sent to a surgeon, they scheduled and I am so very thankful I followed my mommy intuition and canceled. I got more opinions and found that there is no reason to do anything at this age. Labial adhesions are actually that uncommon and the vast majority will resolve on their own. Doing anything at this age will just mean you have to right to stop re-adhesion anyway! The consences I got from a couple docs I trust is that if the adhesions do not risk covering the urethra then there is no reason to act until a child is 4-5. If the adhesions are still there and not improving by that age they would recommend an estrogen cream such as Premarin. In the extrodinarily rare case that the cream was not effective at that point then surgery would be recommended. They said they like to get it resolved by around age 5 because it seems to be less traumatic to young girls than if you wait until 10 or so and obviously it needs to be resolved before mentsration.

So, just wait, give it time. My daughter had a complete adhesion and it opened to a partial by 1 year. Now at 3 she still has a partial adhesion but I'm not worried about it at all. Good luck, I know this is really scary when it's new and the docs tell you all this scary stuff! Let me know if you want any more info I may be able to help you with.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for a quick reply! I would be glad to get more info. Baby is 12 weeks old. I know she has no problem peeing: that was my worry if it would adhere there but no. I am just cleaning with a wet cloth and things seem ok so far. It is hard to find good information (and good medical help). I just feel like too much intervention may make things worse in the long run and my gut is really telling me to not use the cream.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
yes, just leave them be. my DD2 had adhesions at 4 months and they are completely gone now at 7 months and i've done absolutely nothing to them. most of the time they go away on their own.

you might want to do a quick search here - when DD2 first had them i found some helpful threads, including some with info on some natural options to the hormone cream that have helped some which you might want to think about using if they are really bad (like trapping urine) or don't get better over a long long period of time.

they're really quite common, no big deal. and good for you for listening to your gut!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.