Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm meeting with a midwife tomorrow. I've used an OB for my past three pregnancies, this will be my first homebirth. I'd like mostly hands off care and birth. I'd really like to have an unassisted birth, but hubby is concerned, so this is our compromise. :)

What kind of care do want? What kind of birth do you want?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Here there are no midwives so my choices are UC or OB/hospital. I always wanted a homebirth so I considered UC with my first but it felt wrong. Turns out it was a good thing I went with the OB, I ended up with ICP and needing medical intervention. This time I'm at the OB again because my ICP will likely return, and I'm having twins. Twins + ICP comes with a decent chance of preemies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
I did have a natural, vaginal birth in hospital last time and hope to do the same this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: valerievalira

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I like hands off care and have had two UCs/UPs... still feel once I know baby doesn't have genetic issues I'll lean that way. But I'll still have my midwife here, so I'll just call it hands off.

First birth in the last 4 (3 of my keepers, and surrobaby) that we won't hire a doula... but I feel good about it. I'm a doula and one of the oldest in our area (age and experience), I can't think of any I really want there... as wonderful as they are.

Genetic screen blood draw in 1.5w.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm opting for a nurse-midwife and a homebirth. After two previous home births and hospital births before that, I'd never willingly go back to OBs. The care from a good midwife is second to none.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Last go around I had a hospital birth that had mire interventions than I wanted. The birth was no problem but then we were stuck in hospital for 4 days for various tests because since we were rural they were scared we wouldn't go back to hospital if something went wrong.

Well- I learned that was the reasoning after the fact.

This go around we plan to do a home birth. Our midwife can't do drugs so those interventions are not going to happen. I'm just looking forward to not laboring in a car like I did last time. :)

In all seriousness, I'm super excited about our birth plan this go around. My Midwife was a doula for a decade before she became a midwife. So I feel like I am in very capable hands if I do get afraid or if pain becomes a factor that she will know what to do to calm me down. (I had a relatively pain free labor last time- hoping for the same this go around.)

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm seeing the same homebirth midwife I used with baby #6. This will bee my fourth homebirth and second waterbirth if all goes according to plan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same midwife as my first, planning for another natural home birth. Didn't do the genetic screen last time, but this time I am. 7 years older and have seen too much as a midwife since then.

All the midwives in this area work with the amish and are used to very low intervention care. I'll do all the routine tests, but not taking any antibiotics or anything.

Just hoping not go to 2 weeks over and need castor oil twice this time! I would do anything for a home birth, so hopefully everything is normal because they'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to the hospital if my baby were breech or something :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm scared I won't have the homebirth I'm planning. I've started testing my sugar levels today since the previous two pregnancies I've been gestational diabetic. My sugar levels are in the 160's, eating a normal lunch. An egg salad sandwich, only. And I'm starving for a while afterwards. I'm frustrated. Tomorrow, I'll drop the dang bread, and just eat the eggs and see how my sugar levels turns out. I was so hungry my previous pregnancies, bc I was sooooo scared of the GD. I'm the end, I have little children, so my husband and I are hoping for another little. My biggest with GD was 7#3oz, here's hoping I'll do the same this time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Has your meter been calibrated recently? That can make a big difference. I test blood sugars on patients at work and those suckers so often need to be calibrated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has your meter been calibrated recently? That can make a big difference. I test blood sugars on patients at work and those suckers so often need to be calibrated.
I think I'm going to purchase another one and see how they compare. I'll test them against my dad's, who uses his daily for his diabetes. I don't how to have it calibrated anyways. How do I go about doing that? On a positive my sugars are starting to level out, so I'm happy. I don't know if it was stress of testing again that caused those suckers to be high, but now I'm eating more or less the same thing, and my sugar level is right on. I'm so relieved.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It should have cone with the unit- unless it was a super cheap unit (ones insurance buy should have the calibration test bottle). Even if it was cheap- call the manufacturer- they usually will send you the test solution for calibration for free- or you can buy direct from them if they don't- buying from amazon often results in expired test solution.

The bottle of test solution will have a number like 70 or 100 and a range of acceptable readings like+/- 7

You place a drop on a test strip and see if it is within the range of the test solution. If it is! Yay you are good. If not there is usually a button order you press to reset the unit to read accurately using the test solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts