Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have opinions of this?

I have in the past used the elastic adjustable belt from motherhood. I have problems with my upper abdominals, usually around month 6 or so I pull them and spend a week in bed trying not to breathe while they heal... well I did something to them the other day and am in bed waiting for them to heal. It doesn't hurt as bad, probably because I'm not as far along but my concern is that the basic belt might not be enough support for the rest of the pregnancy (I"m only 9 weeks)

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My opinion comes only from reading Dr. Bradley's book, Husband-Coached Childbirth. He says to avoid them as they act as a crutch for your abs and will thereby cause them not to be as strong as they need to be to support the weight of your uterus. I haven't been in your shoes though so I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, but my problem is that it seems my abs already aren't strong enough to support my pregnancy. I think I'll need to see a phyisical therapist after this pregnancy, I've had this issue with each of my 5 already
thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I had that same problem during my pregnancy this year, starting before I was even showing at all. But it wasn't constant. Whenever my uterus would grow substantially, my round ligaments would have issues. Best bet is to just try really hard to move your whole body and not twist at the hips.

I had that belt from motherhood as well, but it was really uncomfortable for me, unless I was going to be strictly walking/standing.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jenlaana.
This isn't round ligament, it's above my uterus, right below my breasts. It is pretty contant and in the past has been so painful that normal breathing hurt and even the lightest touch sends me through the roof. Thankfully it's not that bad this time bu1

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jenlaana but this isn't round ligament pain, I get those sharp pains too but like you they aren't constant and pretty easy to deal with.
This pain is above my uterus, actually just below the breasts. In the past the pain has been so excrutiating that just breathing was hard, the slightest touch sent me through the roof and it was constant.
This time is not so bad I think because my uterus is still small so there really isn't much wweight on those muscles but I'm concerned that without proper support the problem will just get worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.