Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all, I'm hoping I chose the right forum for this. Please move if there's a better place for it!<br><br>
Friend of friend is freaking out, first pregnancy, had the quad screen and got told there's some small chance her baby has Down's Syndrome. My friend wants to help her with more info about whether or not to take the other tests, like amnio. My friend is anti-testing (as am I) but I'd like to give her friend the straight poop so she can be empowered to make her own <i>informed</i> choice. She is pretty mainstream, to all outward appearances, and plans a hospital birth with an ob/gyn. I have no idea if she is pro-choice or not (I am, fwiw, and I am committed to giving her info without judgement in any case).<br><br>
Any good suggestions? TIA!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Tell her that regardless to whether she would terminate or not, to consider the benefits of knowing what the situation is chromosome wise before her baby's birth vs the risks of an amnio or a level 2 u/s.<br><br>
That said, my sisters quad screen came back with similar results (24, due with her second child around New Years) and doing a level 2 u/s didn't definitively rule out or confirm Down Syndrome (nephew to be's head is measuring a week or 2 ahead, and femurs a week or 2 behind)... so my sister has spent the last 10 weeks or so worrying about all this.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much!<br><br>
Does anyone know of any good websites, online articles, statistics, etc.?

·
Registered
181 Posts

HTML:
<a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/T010100.asp#T010110[/HTML" target="_blank">http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/T010100.asp#T010110[/HTML</a>]<br><br>
This link is for Dr. Sears site. It has information on the AFP and Triple screen. I'm not sure what you mean by the quad test, is this something different?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh -- that is exactly the website I was just cruising looking for info. I fgured it would be kind of acceptable to a mainstream-type person.<br><br>
I think quad is triple plus something new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts