Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if prescription prenatals are different from OTC prenatal vitamins? My dh, a doctor, is worried about me taking OTC prenatals, because he thinks there's too much vitamin A in them. But he doesn't know about the Rx ones, because he's not an OB. I haven't had the chance to call my OB's office yet, so I don't have an Rx.

I keep hearing that a children's vitamin is fine, but dh is still not sure about the vitamin A. I'm taking one of dd's toddler vitamins a day, but theres not much folic acid in it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would visit a natural grocery store or shop online for organic or whole food based vitamins. They are absorbed better and don't upset your tummy like some run of the mill vitamins can...from what I understand.

I have been taking (and LOVE) Perfect Prenatal vitamins. Pricey, but you can shop around online to get them cheaper. You can take them on an empty stomach, completely vegetarian (if that matters to you, it doesn't to me) and made from whole food sources. And organic.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

T

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Hmm, I've never heard the vit. A thing.

I've just started taking Rainbow Lite Prenatals because they kept coming up here on the boards. They were through the roof expensive at the healthfood store but I found them for half the price at vitacost.com.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not sure of the cost of them at the health food store, but I buy my Rainbow Light Prenatal One vites at Target for $9.99/bottle.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tika
Not sure of the cost of them at the health food store, but I buy my Rainbow Light Prenatal One vites at Target for $9.99/bottle.
GAH!!! I so did not need to hear that!!
I spent.....

$30 at the health food store.
:

·
Registered
145 Posts
How much Folic Acid does the Rainbow Light have?. Becuse of my age, my MW said I should get 800 not 400.

Thanks,
Zora

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I see a reproductive endocrinologist, and at their practice they say that you can take a regular multi vitamin as long as it has enough FA. My prescription prenatals were costing me $40 a month!!! Now I take Viactiv multis - it's so much better than gagging on a horse pill and getting heartburn later. I'm paranoid, so I also take one FA supp at night, even though the multi has enough in it. HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts