Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone going?

Has anyone gone before?

I just went to my first class today -- it was nice. It was a small group, my friend and I along with four of women.

So who's gone or is going? Are you enjoying it? Do/did you think it was helpful during pregnancy -- and during labor?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went with my DD's pregnancy and am just going to start with this pregnancy. I loved it. I was so nice and welcoming and made me feel great!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am a prenatal yoga teacher and did it all through my pregnancy last time and had a wonderful, short, water homebirth with no tearing and just an hour of pushing. I had to quit a few weeks ago-my hips are in serious trouble this time. But, yoga does make birth a lot easier, and it teaches you how to stay present with your body.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I did it during my last pregnancy and I'm doing it this time around, too. Love it!! Wish I could do more than one class per week. I'm going to try and start practicing at home on my off days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i heart prenatal yoga.

i have still be going to basic yoga classes and modifying so far, but after my stomach flu last week i went to my first prenatal. i was the babe of the group (was only 16 weeks, next woman was 23 or so weeks), so i still felt a bit early, but it was lovely.

i did prenatal yoga up until a few days before my water broke with #1. last pregnancy my prenatal teacher was my doula, and that was an awesome experience b/c we really got to bond regularly throughout my pregnancy. both the prenatal teachers i go to this time are doulas, too, but i think we're too broke to afford one this time around and a close girlfriend is going to be my "doula" to help out my husband (and me!).

but the prenatal yoga did help me. we did transverse abdominal work in it, and i had ONLY back labor....never felt a frontal contraction and had NO inclination to push. getting my 10 lb girl out was hard. my doula/prenatal teacher then told me to use those muscles like we did in class, and that really helped. i also had to tilt my pelvis a lot to get the babe over it, and she was good instructing that.

so, go to prenatal yoga!

better yet, hire your prenatal teacher as your doula!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I did it with my first and am doing it with this pregnancy as well - I love yoga anyways and it just really helps me with the aches and pains. I also find that it is a good way to meet friends! Good luck keeping it up!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
there are no classes in my city that fit into my work schedule, cause i work past 5

i am ordering a dvd though and i can't wait to start.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post
there are no classes in my city that fit into my work schedule, cause i work past 5

i am ordering a dvd though and i can't wait to start.
I can't believe there are not any yoga studios in your area that offer evening weekday or weekend classes.

The studio I'm going to has a Saturday afternoon class as well as a Wednesday evening class (for working women) and a couple morning/afternoon weekday classes.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I can't find any prenatal yoga classes that are less than half hour drive away from me period.
: I'm bummed. At this point I don't have the time to drive that far. . .I found one preg support group that I though would be cool and then found out that there is only one mama in the group so far! Its weird and its not b/c no one is having babies here. . .I think its b/c birth in our community is very conservative, so finding any of the "alternative" stuff means driving farther. Sigh.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going again this evening
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
I can't find any prenatal yoga classes that are less than half hour drive away from me period.
: I'm bummed. At this point I don't have the time to drive that far. . .I found one preg support group that I though would be cool and then found out that there is only one mama in the group so far!
Keep looking... maybe call Yoga studios out of the phone book and check local exercise clubs.

I haven't found any preg support groups around here.... I'm trying to find a cloth diaper "class" to check out, but no such luck

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Kismet,
I finally found a class at a women's fitness center, which i initially never looked at. I bet someone has something!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.