Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started an apprenticeship with an additional midwife(been working for 2 years with another) and she does 30 min. prenatals. I am still on the fence about this and was curious what your opinions were. Of course I respect them both and don't have a beef about it just been thinking for my own practice. My original preceptor does 60 min. except for when we are doing weekly ones for moms in their last month. Those are 30 min. I see benefits and negatives to both options.<br>
What do you do?<br>
Why?<br>
What benefits do you see?<br>
And how busy are you (how many clients in a month and do you see per prenatal day)?<br>
Do you do prenatals in the clients home,your home, or an office?<br>
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I schedule my appointments to be 1 hour apart and they each generally last 45 minutes or so. The first visit where I am taking health history and everything usually ends up being longer, like maybe 1- 1 1/2 hours. There may be appointments here or there that only last 30 minutes though. If we cover everything that needs to be covered and the client doesn't have anymore questions and we are out of small talk, it is no biggie to cut it off early. My goal is just to have women not feel rushed, but there is no need to drag it out longer either.... often my clients come with small children who start getting antsy if it takes much longer than that.<br><br>
I fall between the different methods I learned. In my apprenticeship it was not unusual for appointments to take 90 minutes (sometimes more) and at the high volume clinic I went to appointments were often about 15 minutes (as long as everything was normal), so 45 minutes feels like a good balance to me.<br><br>
At this point, my practice is still new, so I am not that busy. I try to keep prenatals to 2 days a week, so often on these days I might only have 1-2 prenatals on each day. I work in an office. I do a home visit at 36 weeks, but otherwise do appointments in my office.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Erica!<br>
Bump<br>
I am really curious what all of you fabulous women do for your business.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My preceptor and I both do exclusively home visits. Getting my own practice up and running, I am finding that my prenatals tend to last 45 minutes to an hour... with the initial visit lasting closer to an hour and a half. This is very similar to my preceptor's appts.<br><br>
I tend to lump appts together geographically- my preceptor's clients one day, my clients that are all in one city another day, and all the rest on yet another. It works out so that most weeks I am doing prenatals two days a week. I am averaging 1-2 clients a month and my preceptor about 2 a month.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
45-60 minutes. Combo of in my home-office and in their home (depends on the client).<br>
When I sub-contract, I do 30 minute appointments there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts