Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi~
I am 30 weeks along with boy/girl twins. I have a 5 year old dd who is very excited about the babies coming. I signed her up for a sibling class but it was cancelled due to low registration. So, I am on my own for helping to prepare her...this is where you wise multiple mamas come in!

We haven't yet decided if she will be at the birth or not. She is very mature for her age...intuitive and very sensitive. For these reasons I am torn. If she is at the birth we have chosen a very close friend who would be there with her.

I am worried about the amount of attention I will be able to give her once the babies are here. Any tips to prepare her for the birth and having 2 new babies in our home?

Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My dd was 5 when our babies were born. She was at the birth and loved it. My mom was there with her and would have taken her outside if she felt scared or things got too complicated. But she still talks about it. Someti,es a bit too LOUDLY at the park (like shouting all about it to strangers on the swings
) but I know she was really awed and proud. It was a great birth. I think it was great having her there. We watched a LOT of birth shows on Discovery Health Channel (vag and c-sections) as well as my own birth videos and a LOT of talking and answering questions.

As for preparing her, I think just talking about it a lot helps. Make sure she knows that feelings of jealousy or frustration toward the babies are normal, and that its ok to tell you and talk about it. Also try to involve her as much as you can. Teach her how to diaper her dolls, get her a little doll sling. Set up the changing station and make that her "job" to know where all the diapering stuff is, keeping it organized, etc. and she can hand diapers to you when you're changing diapers. Also let her pick out some special outfits or gifts for them. Just try to keep her as involved as possible. Kids only get jealous when they feel like they are being left out.

My twins were born a week before she started Kindergarten. I didn't get to come to her classroom as much as I would have liked. But I did as much as I could and tried to remember to do one-on one things with both my older kids. Even if its just grocery shopping or errands or reading a book. Even 15 minutes can change their attitude.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.