Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been ttc for several months. We have one son and no known barriers to fertility. To better prepare myself physically, I've just started making some changes. I:

-cut out caffeine (except a cup of green tea each day)
-drink lots more water
-do morning yoga
-eat 5-7 servings of fruit and veg each day
-eat lots of other nutritious food, no junk
-made a trip to the dental hygenist
-chart

and I've decided to try preseed

Has anyone else made any changes? I feel pretty darn good! Is there anything else I could be doing? Share your secrets, please!

·
Registered
757 Posts
How about taking some prenatals? I started taking prenatals when we started ttc.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
925 Posts
-Taking prenatals
-Drinking red raspberry leaf tea
-Eating lots of veggies
-Reduced my caffeine intake (I used to drink coffee non-stop through the whole day, all the way up until bed time! My guess is 10-20 cups a day! Yikes! Now I'm down to an occassional glass of tea, maybe every couple of days)
-Getting more sleep
-Drinking tons of water

***edited to add:***

Oh yeah, and I have been shaving my legs a lot more often lately

·
Registered
132 Posts
Things I've done sort of gradually over the last 5 months (and even much longer before that):
- cut down my running distance, sadly. I think I was overexerting myself
- added more vitamin B6
- in conjunction with a daily multi and a calcium pill, I started taking the B-complex from Trader Joes which has lots of B6 and folic acid.
- this month I cut alcohol and (most) caffeine. I reserve the right to eat dark chocolate
- I've been drinking 4-5 cups of red raspberry tea each day. I've also been doing a cup of Pregnancy Tea now and then, too.
- quit my job and got a nicer one
- started temping
- last night, i had DH rub a few drops of lavender oil mixed with jojoba oil and water on my belly. to relax me and prevent future stretch marks, I told him. he would think I was crazy if I told him it was to send Happy Home vibes to my uterus.
- did it a lot ;-)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm attempting to clean up the diet as much as possible, drink lots of water, take my prenatals and my greens plus, avoid coffee except for the occassional one cup to help me wake up some days. The hardest has been reducing my regular running from 6-10 km 3 or more times a week to lighter jogging 3 times a week and using the eliptical at the gym. I miss pounding pavement!
Other than that, everything is pretty normal. I keep telling myself to get more rest, but with two little ones its not always that easy. I like to get my reading in , and the only time I really get to is at night when the kids are in bed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm taking a multivitamin, exercising regularly (3-5 times a week), REALLY trying to clean up my diet, and cutting back on alcohol. I'm drinking more water and finally losing a bit of weight after going off the pills. Life is good!
Here's to being healthy gals!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm taking Usana vitamins (have been for over a year) and have added the calcium supplement and flax seed oil for my prenatal vitamins. I exercise every other day lifting kettlebells (really awesome cardio workout!!). DH and I are vegetarian so we get all the fruit and veggie servings in our diet already. I'm starting to go to a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy and prepregnancy health. I'm also doing a lot of reading on pregnancy, childbirth, and which classes I want to take (DH and I have agreed on Bradley). I'm already researching midwives in my area and also in Vermont since we'll be moving there once we sell our house. I think that's about it. I know this may be overkill but I want to make sure I'm healthy and mentally prepared for the uncertainty of everything.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The biggest thing for me is de-stressing. I work outside the home and have a toddler so feel completely burnt out at the end of most weeks. Well, you don't conceive if you're stressed, so I'm working on that. Getting DD to bed earlier so I can get to bed earlier is the biggest thing. Plus insisting on time for myself and really relaxing when I can - meditating on the bus, etc.

Plus:
charting
prenatals
watching my diet

I would like to add more exercise, as it would be good to be more fit, just have trouble fitting it in to my day when I keep having naps at lunch.

g.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Charting
Cup of RRL tea daily
Multivitamin and folic acid supplement
Meditate for 5 minutes (will probably go longer as I get used to it)
Feel guilty about not eating more veggies as planned and not exercising more as planned.

Um, I think I need to do something about that last one.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
1. Losing weight with a healthy diet, to have a healthy BMI
2. Cut back on green tea to one cup a day
3. More water
4. Exercise 6 times per week
5. Prenatal vitamins and extra folic acid and calcium

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I'm taking a prenatals, drinking only 1/2 cup decaf coffee 3-4 times a week, excercising to get in better shape before my belly blows up again
relaxing, eating healthy, and trying desperately not to stress over getting pregnant.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fransuzhenka
5. Eating fresh pineapple every morning (making DH eat too)
It seems I'm out of the loop! What's the fresh pineapple good for?
:

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fransuzhenka
1. Taking 1 mg folic acid daily
You mean 1g folic acid? It's supposed to be >600mg a day.

Calynde, the pineapple helps with implantation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmm. I was taking 800 mcg (microgram), and my OBGYN told me to up it and take at least 1 mg (milligram). Or that's what I though! Yikes!
Am I confused?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
at myself. Wow, I really should learn to read better.
1g would be this honking horse pill! Like a paperclip or dollarbill's worth of folic acid.

Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out there, that "c" was all important.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, be careful with pineapple, because too much of it is purported to cause uterine contractions, and even early labor (or so I read here).

BUT, a little (DH and I are each eating one fat slice of fresh pineapple every morning) is purported to help implantation (or so I read in many places when I googled "pineapple AND implantation").

I read that the pineapple must be fresh, because the helpful part of the fruit is an enzyme that is destroyed when the pineapple is processed.

SO.... It's what we're doing, but may not be for everyone!
:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Vitamins:
400 mcg of folic acid
100 mg of B6
50 mg of B Complex
Multi vitamin (which has another 400 mcg of folic acid)
1,000 - 2,000 mg of fish oil

-Cut out caffiene
-Drinking anywhere from 80-140 oz/water per day
-Getting more sleep
-Charting
-Started meditating

Next cycle is the first cycle, so I will start eating baby carrots (10 a day) from end of AF until O. I will start drinking one glass of green tea a day from AF until O. I will eat just a bit of pineapple from start of AF until 4-5 days after O.

I think that's it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts