Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with more than one - what things did you do to make the transition easier for your older ones? (And easier for you!)

My DD will be 3 in October. She is fascinated by the idea of "her baby", and every day we look at 4D u/s pics so she can see what the baby looks like now. She asks a lot of questions about what the baby will be able to do, etc...

But really, I'm wondering more about skills I can help her with before the baby gets here - give my little "processer" plenty of time to work on some things!! This morning, for example, I realized it would be really lovely if she can learn to pull up her pants after she pees in the next 8 months

What things big and small helped make those first few weeks with baby #2 go a little more smoothly?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
My youngest will also be 3 in October and her older sister recently turned 4.
We won't be telling the girls for a few more months - until I actually look like I have a baby in my belly.
Our plan is to take the girls to the occasional MW appt - she was there when the girls were born and loves them dearly and I know that just meeting with the MW and talking about the baby will help prepare them.

I expect in the last month or so we will break out all the baby stuff and pull out the tiny clothes and tiny diapers and show them pictures of themselves when they were babies.

We will talk a lot about babies and how special it is to be a big sister. We will also have planned activities for them to do after the baby comeseither with DH or with friends/family so they get some social time.

This is my 5th and none of my other kids had any issues with the new sibling but I do think this time will be different because my 4th will remember what it was like being the baby, I honestly think 3-3.5 is a hard time to introduce a sibling. We will give her as much love as we can and hope/pray for the best.

Keri

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
DD's not quite two, and I'm not going to talk to her about it at all until much, much closer to March. She's too young to really "get" the idea of a baby inside me where she can't see it and can't touch it, and if I did get her to understand, she'd want the baby to be born NOW-- 40 weeks is eternity to a 2 year old. So I think it's better to wait until a month or two beforehand, when she can see the bulge and feel it kicking and have some kind of concrete something to see and touch.

In the meantime, though, we're gonna hang out lots with people who have babies, so that she can get used to what young babies are like and how to treat one appropriately. Also, like the OP said, I want to work on some small issues of independence before then, so that when I'm really busy with a newborn DD can help herself a little bit.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra
She's too young to really "get" the idea of a baby inside me where she can't see it and can't touch it, and if I did get her to understand, she'd want the baby to be born NOW-- 40 weeks is eternity to a 2 year old. .
Yeah, I'm getting that question daily, sigh... We had to tell DD because a friend of mine told her 2.5 year old daughter, and then came to visit - I wanted DD to hear it from us. I had a m/c prior to DD, so normally we would have waited much longer to say anything. However, no undoing that one!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
My daughter is 2, and I told her the day I found out that she was going to have a brother/sister. Ive told her where the baby is, in mummys uterus and she needs to be gentle so she doesnt hurt me. She doesnt really seem confused. I am trying to keep her involved ie: when looking at nappies or carseats id ask her if she thought they were good for her brother/sister, and she will be there when baby is born, I think she is alot more in tune than we give them credit for. My biggest worry is sharing the boobs, she isnt breastfeeding much at the moment but they have always been her boobies. She is happy to play alone and everything and when I hold other peoples babies or had my 2 month old nephew stay over she was totally fine and not jealous at all.
I think for me just the openess, and honesty will work the best, and making sure she is totally involved.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We haven't told dd yet, mostly because we don't want her to tell the family before we do. I am planning on taking her to some of the appointments. She will be so excited when she finds out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts