Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We are waiting for an evaluation for my 5 year old son for ASD, most likely Aspergers. We had an evaluation for him almost 2 years ago and honestly weren't pleased with the doctor or the doctor's attitude. I won't go into it all, but we've never been confident in her findings.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, I just really wanted to ask what you did to prepare for your children's evaluations...For our last evaluation we took in a list of concerns which, firstly, the doctor blew off and, secondly, since I had compiled the list she suggested that I be evaluated for OCD. It had been suggested by numerous people to make a list of concerns, I thought that the doctor would welcome it!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Last night I took a short (less than 2 minute) video of an episode my son had where he was severely anxious/agitated over something silly (silly to us anyway) and there is a part of me that really wants to share this with the doctor next month but I am concerned if this doctor may have a similar reaction. My son can seem totally "normal" at times and other times there are major red flags. There have been red flags since he was around a year old, but in the last year or so, things seem to actually be getting more prominent.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So anyway...What, if anything did you all do to prepare for evaluations and was the doctor receptive to your preparation?</p>

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>I would take the list and the video.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I took a bullet list of ds behaviors to the family doctor for a referral to the developmental ped and the FD thought it was great. If your doctor has a negative reaction then you don't want him.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
133 Posts
<p>I completely agree.  The doc who went so far as to suggest that you might have OCD was out of line. The only way to remember things at such a stressful time is to write down your questions/concerns AND the answers!</p>

·
Registered
324 Posts
<p>agree 100% with the pp's.  a good doc will welcome a list of concerns - especially when the child is young.  i woud focus on developmental milestone kind of things - when he waved, pointed, responded to his name, etc.  also, speak to how he plays with peers, how he responds to you as his parents, what are his struggles - sleep, feeding, anxiety, etc.  a good physician will welcome your input, and ask good questions in response.  and remember - you are his advocate.  don't worry about how you come off.  it's not your job to seem cool, calm, or anything else.  i hope it goes well - let us know.</p>

·
Registered
162 Posts
<p>Well, my son has an appt with a neuropsych for an evaluation and I dropped off 3 pages of concerns today.  Bulleted, easy to read, but a lot of info. His appt is in 2 weeks, but I figured it was better to drop it off now, and give the doctor time to read it before the appointment. The receptionist was pleased I compiled the list.</p>

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
<p>I'd take the video too -- put it on a CD/DVD that they can keep while they write up the evaluation. That's what I did with my son's 'tics' when we were having him evaluated. He only did the tics when he was bored or tired and so I knew they wouldn't appear for the doctor. Since they were a main concern of mine, I'm glad the docs were able to see them.</p>

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>I took the video, the doctor was VERY receptive to seeing it. She asked about odd and/or repetative movements that we see and I thought that was the perfect time to show it.The evaluation was pretty informal, but it was great. DS was very relaxed and comfortable, so he was acting more like he would at home. I expected that this was going to be a formal thing where he was expected to do what THEY wanted him to do. That was not the case! Yes, in the end he was diagnosed with Asperger's, it wsan't a surprise exactly but still something that was shocking to hear. We're still adjusting to things</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts