Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there-<br>
my son will be starting preschool two mornings a week in the fall. he is currently with me full time so i am a bit worried about the transition- although feel sure he will love the school itself once he is used to it. anyone have any books (or ideas) you'd recommend in getting a little one used to the idea before september rolls around?<br>
thanks

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
"The Kissing Hand" is very sweet - makes me cry, but is a sweet idea for little ones about taking their parent's love to school.<br><br>
I think you can also use "A new house for hermit crab" by Erik Carle and talk about growing, changing and making new friends.<br><br>
Generally, i would just start talking up preschool, drive by and show him the school, go play on the playground, etc. if you know the teacher's name, start talking about her. Don't even mention possible fears. Then, as school approaches, start talking about the rhythm of the day: "we'll get up and have breakfast, then i'll drive you to preschool. I'll say good bye and you will have fun playing outside, dressing up, playing trains with the other kids, etc. After lunch, i'll come pick you up and we'll go to the grocery store/come home and read stories, etc." - get him looking forward to the new routine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts