Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my first delivery, I ended up going with a C-section due to the fact that I stalled at 6 cenimeters and my son wasn't far enough down in the birth canal. After 32 hours of labor, I opted for the c-sec since we were both in duress.

I'm currently pregnant with my 2nd boy and my midwife has told me that I'm a perfect candidate for a VBAC. I am trying to mentally and physically prepare for a vaginal delivery but I am terrified of the pain!

Any advice to help me prepare and what to expect? I've read about the perianal massage to help with tearing. Does it really work?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I would suggest hiring a doula who is experienced with VBAC's..it can really help!

Second, really do a lot of reading about natural childbirth, and being prepared for it. Do you have any idea why you stalled out at 6 the last go round? Perhaps working through this with a midwife/doula would be helpful. If you simply were not giving enough time, or you became exhausted or weak from lack of food/water, this can lead to a difficult labor. Positioning sometimes plays a role.

There are pain management techniques, and water and all different methods for handling labor. Some mom's in the hospital choose an epidural for vaginal deliveries, whether they are VBAC or not..that's an option to you if you choose it. It does lessen the success rate for VBAC slightly, (please do correct me if I'm wrong in my recollection of stats on this) but certainly I would still choose an epidural over a scheduled repeat c-section if I had to make that choice.

You can do it..the main thing is being educated about what will be happening, and working through your fears!

Blessings!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I second the motion of hiring a doula who is familiar with VBAC, she can be a tremendous help in pain relief and also helping to make decisions like when to head to the hospital and advocate for your wishes while your there.Take a good child birth education course that teaches pain coping techniques like hypno-babies. www.hypnobabies.com As far as good positioning for baby and mother you may want to look into spinning babies http://spinningbabies.com/ I would also get in touch with your local ICAN chapter and attend some of their meeting and if you need any VBAC information head to VBACfacts.com. The top books I would recommend reading are:

Optimal Care in Childbirth: The case for a physiologic Approach- Hanci Goer
Your Best Birth-Rikki Lake
Guide to Childbirth-Ina May Gaskin
Born in the USA-Dr Marsden Wagner
The Thinking Womans Guide to better Birth- Hanci Goer
Pushed-Jennifer Block
Birth-Tina Cassidy

Most of all stay positive, you got this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts