Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended an open house early last week- it was great!!! But, this is the First Montessori school that does not serve lunch that we visited. I adore the school and I am submitting his application next week. I am not totally bothered by it-but am thinking of lunch ideas for DS for this fall!! He will need to bring his lunch and snacks everyday!

What do you preapare for lunch thats nutritious and easy, and tasty???
:

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
We microwave lots of foods since dd doesn't really eat sandwiches for lunch. But some ideas:
freeze yogurt tubes and put them in frozen
peanut butter and celery
raw veggies, cut fruit
cheese sticks
cheese and crackers or sliced meat if you eat meat
bagels and cream cheese
graham crackers

What does he generally eat at home? My dd's lunch often is beans and rice, chili, macaroni and cheese, left over spaghetti, taquitos, things like that that they will heat for her, plus plenty of fresh fruits, veggies, yogurt or cheese, a bottle of water or sometimes juice.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Ours doesn't microwave and ds doesn't like many cold foods and his teacher is allergic to peanut butter, so it is kinda depressing to face my cupboards each morning!

Our school really stresses that the kids should be able to open all the containers by themselves. I found some plastic tupperware type containers at the dollar store that snap open on the sides and he can easily open them.

Similar to these (can you see the little flip ups on the sides?)

http://www.amazon.com/PIECE-MIRACLE-.../dp/B000LEFS70

Only I didn't buy an entire set.

Ds likes carrot sticks and dip, cheese squares and crackers to make "sandwiches," grapes, apples, etc. cheese sandwiches cut with cookie cutters, cream-cheese spreads with wheat crackers, sliced hardboiled eggs, yogurt, sometimes pasta and parm. in a thermos.

·
Registered
838 Posts
a little late chiming in...

we do ds' sandwiches on pita bread b/c it's so thin and easy for him to eat

I mix plain, unsweetened yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit or cinnamon or vanilla (don't typically need a sweetener, but sometimes use stevia or raw honey)

we do a lot of snacking type foods here that are easy to pack for lunch...chunks of cheese, baby carrots, frozen peas (they thaw by lunch), a few olives, healthy crackers, etc.

HTH, I'm having trouble thinking...must sleep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.