Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our second baby, so this is our first time to prepare a sibling for the arrival of a new baby. I'd love to hear what some of the rest of you are doing or have done in the past to help prepare your older child for a new sibling!

My first boy will be 2 in just a couple weeks. One thing I read suggested having a baby book with pictures of himself for the toddler to look at and understand that he was just like the new baby at one time too. So I finally did his first baby picture book, starting with belly pictures of when I was pregnant with him and ending at this last Christmas time. It has pictures of everyone coming to visit and hold him when he was first born, so I hope it helps him to understand and look forward to the visitors who will come when his baby sister is born.

I also ordered some books about a new baby and being a sibling to read to him.

We did co-sleeping with him from 6-18 months and then got him a twin bed that's sandwiched in between our bed and the wall. The last month or so, I've been working on teaching him that cuddling with Mama is for day time not sleep time. After I weaned him, he wanted to rub a small freckle/mole on my arm to get asleep or to get back to sleep when he wakes up. He's doing much better at falling asleep without my arm, but when he wakes up early in the morning he still wants my arm. When the new baby comes it will be wall to wall beds if he stays in our room, and I'm afraid the baby will wake up the toddler in the middle of the night. I really want to move our toddler to the bedroom right next to ours, but my husband is still working on remodeling an office downstairs so that room is still his office. I'm hoping he will have it finished by the end of the month, but am wondering if moving my toddler to his own room just two months before the baby is born would be too much for him. Currently, bedtimes are still a bit of a hassle sometimes as he keeps trying to crawl off his bed onto ours. I think having his bed separate will really help him with this too! Does anyone else have experience with moving a toddler to their own room before the next baby was born?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts