Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey, I'm right there with ya! I would like to wait to ttc until after my sister's wedding in April, just in case. So, meantime, I'm trying to cut out as much sugar as I can (the bad kind, not from fruit), loose some weight, start excersizing and of course planning everything, but that isn't a body thing! lol good luck!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
OK, from the perspective of someone who's been trying for a little over a year, this is what I think I *should* have done before we started trying:

* Gone off the pill a year or more before we wanted to start trying. (This has been my biggest obstacle, since the pill messed my hormones up badly).

* Done accupuncture for 3-6 months before we started trying (I am doing it now and it is really helping my cycles).

* Done some emotional work on helping me relieve stress/ get over emotional traumas. Having to do all this emotional work right now, while I'm in the midst of trying is very hard. In fact, I would say the emotional aspects of TTC are the worst part, and the part I was not expecting at all. It is really tough to want a baby and not get pregnant cycle after cycle...

I don't know that gearing myself up for it would have helped, but my gosh, I wish I'd had some clue what the emotional aspects of this were going to be like before we started!!!!

Anyway, I HTH!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree with the pill thing! I went off and we ttc for two years before it finally happened! lol, we had pretty much given up and I was back in school for my Masters! figures..

Well, I made an appt today for a pap and physical and to talk to my dr about ttc. I couldn't see him until February, so its a good thing I don't want to get pregnant until after April!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
1. Got up to date with all dental work, especially since I've got several silver-amalgam fillings. Just got one replaced with a composite 2 weeks ago.

2. Had a colonic about 2 months ago to detoxify my body. I can't say it was a most pleasant experience at the time, but boy did I feel great afterwards.

3. Stopped drinking coffee over a year before ttc. Stopped drinking soft drinks (I used to loooove my Coke!). Stopped drinking alcohol. Switched to herbal and green teas, and I've grown to love a sparkling glass of Pellegrino with a fresh lime wedge instead of a glass of wine with a nice dinner.

4. Decreased sugar intake (although all of the holiday goodies around last week were so tempting....) Decreased dairy intake.

5. Become consistent with exercising. I am now doing mostly 'pregnancy friendly' workouts, including fast-walking, swimming, and yoga.

6. Taking supplements. I'm taking a prenatal, fish oils, probiotics and vitamin c. My hubby is on the bandwagon with this as well and is now happily taking vitamins.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kidspiration,
Wow! That's incredible that you have done so much. I wish you well in ttc. I wish you all well!

I am planning my first home birth and so I have put some books on hold at the library. I have two midwives that I'd like to interview. I have been working out for many years through walking, jogging, and yoga mixed in with dancing, aerobics, and hiking. I have stepped up my pace a little. I want to be in the best physical shape I can be before getting pregnant. I have decided not to stop drinking coffee until I'm pregnant. Nature takes care of that for me very easily. I usually love coffee but can't stand it at all when I'm prego. I don't drink alcohol very much. Only socially. Since I'm still bf'ng I have maintained a really good diet and so I don't really need to work on it. I just continue to fine tune my nutrition. I plan to take folic acid once we start trying. I really do have a very good diet and don't think supplements are necessary.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am glad I found this thread becaue I wanted to start one just like it!!

I am planning to sort of start ttc in May after my b-day. I'm turning 28 this year and feel like i 'm entering a new phase in my life. Anyway, I say sort of ttc because I think we will just stop tta like we have been and just not worry about it. If we're meant to get pregnant we will. I am really getting baby-fever now but I feel like if we actively try and don't succeed I will be disappointed every month. Just my way of dealing with the possibility of not getting preggo right away
Oh and shhhh dh and I haven't "officially" talked about it yet either...
Se here are my goals. I hope to get into a routine of meeting them by my b-day in may so i am ready for ttc.
1. I would like to improve my diet by cutting out soda, candy and potato chips. I am periodically addicted to these things and I have to address the reasons *why* I do this. When I get stressed and don't sleep enough I don't eat well which makes me want the "no-nos" above, so I am making an extra effort to take good care of myself this winter.
2. I want to exercise more consistently. My goal is to walk for 30 minutes a day. So far I am doing good, today I walked for 20 (to and from work, although I don't always work in the same location so I won't always get to do this) and yesterday I walked for 1 hr (to and from the store).
3. I have alot of books I want to read and research to do about my pregnancy and birth choices and well as parenting stuff too. I think I am pretty much there with the pregnancy and birth thing but not on the parenting thing.

One thing someone else mentioned was going to the dentist and doc to get checked out before ttc. This is something i definitely have to do, thanks for the reminder!!
firecat

·
Registered
529 Posts
I forgot to mention I am taking red clover/red raspberry leaf and nettle infusions (different from a tea, stronger). I alternate between the red clover/rrl and nettle. I just started doing this and I am already liking it. Although I do need to find another source for herbs other than my natural food store. (as in bulk, they just have small baggies and I hope I could get a discount if I bought larger amounts from a supplier) Anyway, red clover, rrl and nettles are all very nourishing herbs from what I 've read and not only are they good for the reproductive system they are good for your whole body. Lots of vitamins and minerals plus nettles contain folate. (cause I hate taking pills!) I can go into detail if you want just LMK.
hth
firecat

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI!! I am pretty new to the site but I am finding such amazing comfort and support in the short time I've been here! Thank you to eveyone! I am going to be going off of birth control when I finish this period. I would love to get pregnant sometime around May. I'm just going to leave it up to fate. I'll get pregnant if and when I am supposed to. But I have been preparing just in case. I am a hypnobirth instructor and plan a hypnobirth/waterbirth so I am rereading all of my books and doing my meditation/self hypnosis/breathing to prepare. I can't tell you how much this helps me relax and puts me in a positive frame of mind!! I've always have a pretty good-organic diet but I have fine tuned it a little. exercise,folic acid...all of that. Still need to cut back on the vino!! It's great to hear what you moms-to-be are doing to prepare!!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
hypnochris -- do you have any favorite guided imagry or self hypnosis websites/tapes you could share? I've been wanting to explore that lately...

huggerwocky, I agree, tho I probably wouldn't put it quite as strongly as you

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a few tape that I recorded from some other hypnobirth instructors and of course the actual hypnobirthing tapes. I don't know the exact names or websites off the top of my head but I will check into it!!
Even if your not planning to have a hypnobirth doing the guided imagery and relaxation techniques are so helpful!! It allows you to release so much tension and allows your body to more easily do the job it was designed to do!! I've been using guided imagery for everything. I recently shifted my focus to TTC. I feel like I need my mind to be just as prepared as my body. Anyway, I'll post the names of those tapes when I find them.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hi all!

I like this thread! One I can actually join in on!

I'm not sure when dh and I will be able to start ttc. I'm finishing my BA in May, moving back to California from Canada and then come the $500/month student loan payments! Best case scenario is October.

Anyhoo, I went of BCP in September and I'm charting (2 cycles of 59 and 67 days each- a big yay compared to the 4-6 months between periods pre-pill). Around the same time I did a major overhaul on my diet. No more refined sugars or processed food of any sort (except very occasionally when we go out). I've also gone from ovo-lacto to complete vegan at home, but I will eat small amounts of dairy when we're out, mostly to placate my in-laws. And I'm sprouting like crazy and trying to eat more raw foods (not easy when the windchill is -35 C).

I haven't given up alcohol yet, but I can't afford to drink it anyway, so I'll have 2-3 glasses of wine once every couple of months.

The two things I still want to do are 1. Start taking some really good pre-natals. I'll do this in June or July when I start working and can afford it.
2. Exercise more and get really strong! I walk a little over an hour a day to get to class and back, but I want to start doing some heavy-duty yoga again and something that really gets my heart rate up.

I guess I should go to the dentist and doctor too. But I don't have dental coverage right now and I hate the idiots at the University clinic I have to go to here. Those will have to wait until after we move.

I also hang out here a lot and root around for as much info as I can. I'm determined to be as prepared for this as possible. It's tough when your body and instincts tell you that you should be doing a certain thing, but your common sense (and that of your dh) tell you it's not adviseable yet. It also makes it pretty difficult when various family members tell you not to wait, things will work themselves out, babies aren't expensive, etc. when your uterus is aching with emptiness.
:

Anyway, just passing the time as quickly as possible...

Amy

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
hypnochris -- thanks for looking for me! I suppose I should just ask my mom what she knows, considering she certified as a hypnotherapist, but she hasn't done it in awhile...

Amy -- where in Canada are you? (You can PM me if you don't wanna say.) I'm originally from Cali, too, and we're in Toronto right now, until this summer, when we go where ever my husband gets a professorialship. We're hoping to go back to Cali, but who knows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am ttc and have begun folic acid (this is very important before and during preg. to prevent birth defects), reduced caffine dramatically, began multi-vitamins, and visited my doc to get a general check-up. I had not considered the dentist, but will call first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
We'll be ttc#2 starting next month and I've been taking prenatals and trying to eat better all of this month. I want to try and avoid getting GD this time around so I'm already working on working the "bad" carbs out of my diet and eating more whole grain breads and more veggies.
I really have to cut down my diet soda consumption; I drink 4 cans a day on average and that's just not acceptable. With my last pg, I had really bad morning sickness and by the time it passed I was 30lbs lighter and had kicked my caffeine addiction but I'd rather not go that route this time,lol!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annmari757
I had not considered the dentist, but will call first thing in the morning.
Whatever you do, don't let your dentist do any amalgam ("silver") fillings!! They contain 50% mercury, which is neurotoxic to you and the fetus!! Also, any fillings to be removed should also be removed using special precautions so as not to raise the level of mercury in your body--like lead, once it's there, it stays there. The ADA doesn't admit it, but amalgam fillings leak mercury vapor, and research has shown a correlation between the number of amalgam fillings a woman has and the mercury level in the baby's blood at birth. Sweden has eliminated the use of amalgam because of concerns for the health of women and children, and several other countries (Germany and I believe Japan too) have taken steps in this direction also.

I have spent a lot of time doing research on this in the last year, and got my mercury levels tested, since my mouth was full of amalgam fillings--I ended up getting them replaced with biocompatible materials and doing a course of chelation therapy to reduce my mercury levels, since they were high, before TTC!!

So I guess, that's also my answer to the original post--that was my first big step toward preparing for pregnancy!! Now I'm taking a prenatal, balanced B-100, evening primrose oil, a specific amino acid blend for ongoing heavy metal detox, reducing caffeine and sugar (especially soda--my previous favorite!) and drinking lots of green tea. I also started doing Kundalini yoga and meditation again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just thought I would add a couple of thoughts.

From what I've read, raspberry leaf tea is questionable for use during early pregnancy. Some sources say you should only drink it during the last couple of weeks of pregnancy because it prepares the uterus for contracting which is not what you want it to do in the beginning.

And I read that you should only take Evening Primrose Oil from the first day of your period until ovulation and then discontinue the rest of your cycle.

I don't remember where I read this but for those of your taking these you
might want to do some more research. HTH

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.