Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Whew. So my husband and I changed our minds about having another child.

But where do I start? Shamefully, I started smoking again after my now 5yo daughter weaned, so I have to quit before we even start trying to conceive. In order to give our baby the best chance health-wise, how much time has to pass between quitting and TTC? (I quit cold-turkey the day I found out I was pregnant with my first, so I'm not worried about quitting long enough to make sure I don't relapse.)

I'm going to begin taking pre-natals now, and I've already gone off hormonal birth control. We won't begin TTC until at least April.

Another pressing concern: we just moved into a new apartment, and before we closed the sellers made us aware that there are some damp issues in our bedroom. We had a contractor come out and take a look, but then it turned out that it's an exterior building issue, which means that our building is responsible for repairs. These repairs are due sometime this year. We could go ahead and have it repaired ourselves to the tune of $4k, or chip in to the building fund for less than $1k (which we'll have to pay when the exterior repairs come around regardless of whether we fix the damp issue or not - so total $5k going out). Since we weren't considering, oh, creating new life in our bedroom, we were planning on waiting. But I noticed that when we first moved in, and if we leave home for a few days and then return, I develop sinus issues and headaches for a couple of days before adapting to whatever it is that's causing them. I'm worried it's the damp... and what effect that's going to have on an unborn child.

Sorry, long-winded. I just need general advice! How long should I quit smoking before TTC? Would you recommend fixing the damp issue before we get busy? I'm otherwise healthy as a horse and we eat a fabulously healthy and delicious diet, so no worries there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
nak...

According to an article I found on another popular parenting site, quitting one month before ttc should be fine.

As far as the issue with your apartment, is it a mold issue? If so, I'd find out what kind, how dangerous it is, and what you can do to limit exposure. If it's a serious health concern, you shouldn't be staying there in the first place! If not, I'd consider getting an air purifier and see if that helps yor sinus issues.

HTH!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response!

No, it's not hazardous, according to the surveyor who checked the property out in November before we made the purchase. But what's considered safe for fully-formed human beings may not be safe for the forming. Or so I worry.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Maybe ask your obgyn/pedi? Though I'd think that they'd have to be careful saying something isn't hazardous knowing that someone could have a baby in the property.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.