Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<a href="http://www.homeschoolestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7881&osCsid=5a72586c6e2312c1d69474907525e56a&affiliate_id=11221" target="_blank">http://www.homeschoolestore.com/cata...liate_id=11221</a><br><br>
Has anyone tried this? I need something to keep my toddler busy while working with my older two. It sounds like fun. I'm thinking I can even keep some in the car.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have looked at that site before and been so tempted to buy the book but couldn't bring myself to do it. I told myself it would be a waste of money, that I could put that kind of thing together on my own...but I never did. Hmm, maybe I will get it after all.<br><br>
One idea I had, and maybe this will be something you would like to do, is to get a bunch of those foam shapes. YOu know the kind, they are made of soft colored foam and you can glue them on paper or crafts? Pull out a bunch of different ones (I got a mixed bucket for like $5 at Hobby Lobby) and trace them on a sheet of construction paper or cardstock. Put the shapes and the paper in a bag, then when you need the activity, pull it out and it's a self-correcting puzzle! For an older toddler or preschooler you could let them glue the shapes on to the paper, but obviously then you'd have to remake the puzzle.<br><br>
One other thing I have that I pull out once in awhile is a bag that has two pie tins, a pair of tweezers, and a bunch of pink and blue cottonballs. My 2-year old has a blast sorting the cotton balls by color, moving them from one tin to another, trying to "pour" them between the tins, etc. The tweezers help with fine motor skills in the fingers, using the same muscles they use to hold a pencil, and the activity is just plain fun for them! A few days ago I added a pair of plastic tweezers and a dozen rubber bugs to that bag, things that had come with a bug jar for the 5-year old, so when the toddler sees those as well he's going to get excited!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did a swap with several people using this book (I don't have it; someone else in the bunch did). Each person made 16 or so bags each of two different activities, and then we all swapped around so we got all the activities. They are pretty good. Very all over the map, I thought -- some were too easy for my DD when we did them (age 3), but now they're great for my 2yo, and some were just right for DD. So I thought that was a pretty good mix. They're good independent or semi-independent activities for kids, and some of them are great for long car trips (one is a hole punch and a bunch of pretty papers, and another is lacing cards and string).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I participated in a bag swap recently (we made 24 bags of the same game, and received a bagful of all different ones back!) and it was great. The kids love the games - honestly all four of them likes at least one thing. We found a big tray and the games have to be played on the tray, that helps keep pieces together ; )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts