Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has been taking Lorazapam for around 6 years for anxiety, he started taking my grandmother's meds because she couldn't take them, then it went from there. Now he is taking 8-10 mg's a day, a life threatening dose. The problem is that it is now being prescribed to him by a psychiatrist, this woman doesn't care about diagnosis or his health or side effects, he just walks in there, says I want this much lorazapam and she writes a prescription. This is frustrating me no end because since it is "prescribed", it's not really drug abuse, therefore he can't get help. Not that he wants help, he thinks everything is fine. He is 55, super healthy, always been active and hard working, but now he is falling, has memory loss, is driving my poor mother crazy because he is so high stress. The drug, which is supposed to be anti-anxiety, is causing anxiety because of the dosage and because it is not the right prescription for him. But now that he has been on it so long and at such a high dose it would take years and years for him to be weaned off it. That is, if he even would try. Well, the question I have is: Does anyone know of a way to get this doctor in trouble? What she is doing has to be illegal. She is encouraging drug addiction. I think if we could get my dad away from her and get him to see a doctor that actually cared and would talk to him and get him to realize the side effects that he is having is caused by the drug and that he needs to cut back, it might actually help. The really sad thing is that my dad was a substance abuse counselor for many years and helped many people get off drugs and alcohol. He was an alcoholic for many years and managed to quit that and started helping people like him. So he obviously has a super addictive personality. Well, I have been trying to find answers everywhere and havn't had any luck so I decided to see if anyone here had any ideas. Please let me know! Marie

·
Registered
411 Posts
you could file a complaint with the medical licensing board. I'm not sure it would do much good.<br><br>
Lorazepam is the generic form of Ativan, and actually, 10 mg falls within the range of normal daily dosage. It's also the least addictive of the benzos. I just mention this because it's possible, given these factors, that a medical licensing board might not find an issue with the doctor or this prescription.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the research i've done it seems that lorazepam is one of the most addictive and the most widely abused. The average doseage is around 2 mg, 10mg is ridiculously high. I will check out the medical board, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
411 Posts
"highly addictive" is relative here. All the Benzos carry some risk of dependence, they're known for it actually. Xanax is the MOST addictive of the Benzos, and Ativan (Lorazepam) is the least likely to be abused. The notorious Valium falls somewhere in the middle. Even though they are potentially addictive, these drugs are widely used though, and a true miracle for some people.<br><br>
10 mg <i>is</i> within the prescribing guidelines on this medication. 2-3mg is the normal <i>starting</i> dosage for someone with anxiety, but up to 10mg is safe, and this dosage is used. It's not a "life threatening" dosage as you say in your original post. Because people tend to build a tolerance to these drugs, it's not surprising that someone who has been taking it for several years is at such a high dosage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No advice here,just wanted to say I totally understand what you are going through.My mom has been addicted to Zanax for at least 10 years and sees no problem with it.It was prescribed by her family doctor,she has never seen a phychiatrist or gotten any help for her anxiety.The doc just blindly writes her prescriptions.My father is miserable,has lost his wife(her spirit)and he can do nothing about it,he has just come to accept it,I guess.I live really far away from them and feel helpless to do anything. good luck,I feel ya.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's about what I feel, pretty much helpless, they live close to me but it is hard to talk to my dad anyway, especially about that! It is so hard on my mom and I was trying to help but what can you do? I am so confused right now because I called several drug abuse counselor hotlines and they all told me that he was pretty much screwed, in nicer language, one guy told me it was a lifethreatening dosage and would take 17 years to wean him down, that's if he and a doctor would participate. Another person said he should go to a methadone clinic... Which I think is exchanging one drug for another but I really don't know anything about it so I guess I can't judge. Well, it's nice to at least have someone to talk to about it. Thanks for the answers and support!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts