Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple people have suggesting getting a gift for my 3 year old son from the baby to help with the transition. Also, at my LLL meeting they suggesting getting together a nursing basket for him so he'll have something special to play with when I nurse the baby.

Any suggestions for either of these?! I'm lost! What, if anything, are you getting for your older children?

Thanks!

Grace

·
Registered
271 Posts
for times when i'll be tied up nursing, i've picked up a bunch of longer books that i think dd and i will enjoy. she loves to snuggle up and be read to. i was able to get a majority of the 'mother westwind' series, as well as paddington bear (the chapter books), and found a children's series that are christian amish stories. plus, i figure if i run out of "kid" books, i can read to her from my christian amish stories too. and i also figure that being summer (i'm due in early june) that i can nurse the baby on the bench swing we have outside while dd plays on her swingset.

as for gifts from the baby, i picked up a baby doll that is close to life size. dd is 3 and loves dolls and playing mommy. i've also picked up extra outfits here and there and got a set at toys r us the other day that has a little pack n play, bouncer, stroller, and playmat. i figured that i'd put away a few things for if people stop by with things for the baby.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My DS is 2.5 and has asked multiple times for a toddler sized basketball hoop so we got that for him 'from' the baby. It will be nice for him to be able to play with outside now that the warm weather is here and he doesn't have a lot of outdoor toys. As for a nursing basket I plan on putting in books, crayons, coloring books and some snacks/water and maybe some easy puzzles he can do.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
my dd was 22 mos when my ds was born but i made a little busy box for her that had little things like pipe cleaners, stickers, wooden dolls (like paper dolls but wooden with magnet clothes). she was also really into "sewing" so i put an embroidery hoop with dull needles and embroidery floss.

my ds is turning three now...no babies in our house so i don't need a busy box but when we go out to eat i bring things like matchbox cars, monster trucks, motorcycles, little tools, books about cars/trucks etc.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
our DD loooves Mary Poppins right now. I found a Mary Poppins barbie at Tuesday Morning and the baby gave her that. I know a lot of people try to pick something meaningful, but I think its best to give them some kind of toy they'll love in the moment. Doesn't have to be an heirloom IMO.

As far as nursing baskets go, I say Lansinoh and trashy rag mags are always good

XOXO
B

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Oh and of course, what about a subscription to Mothering Magazine!
:

XOXO
B

P.S. A mama gave me that when she found out I was pregnant with DD and it was soooo loved and appreciated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm pregnant with my first, but I have two younger cousins. I was 15 years old when Josh was born and a week away from 18 years old when his sister Crystal was born. I was the baby sitter in charge of Josh during the delivery. We stayed at my parents, went swimming, watched videos until we got the call that his sister had been born and we were supposed to go to the hospital. My father ended up going with us because he had just gotten home from work and when we showed up Crystal was laying in the middle of the bed (her mom was standing next to it) and she was surrounded by gifts for Josh. None of them wrapped. But there was a TON of stuff.

Josh loved to draw (still does) and so he got one of those boxes of crayons with a million different colors and a ton of coloring books and clothes and stuffed animals and simple reading books and cars. It was Christmas and his birthday rolled into one. I remember I was as suprised as he was. I sat with him and we went through all his gifts while everyone oohed and awwed over the baby. I might of spent 30 seconds looking at Crystal that day. I think having me there to give my 100% attention to him helped. He didn't even care that people were coming in and out and no one else was paying attention to him. He was so wrapped up in his gifts. When my sisters showed up I complained rather loudly that when they were born neither of them brought me anything. That was the story they told Josh. That his sister showed up with all these gifts for him to thank him for being the best big brother out there. He also got a shirt that he wore for a month straight that said "World's Greatest Big Brother" on it.

He also came home with me that day and stayed with me for a couple of days. I think his parents were home with Crystal for two days before I brought him back. (The mom had a csection, her tubes tied, and a tummy tuck when Crystal was born.) They ended up divorcing a year after Crystal was born and I had both of them with me for months at a time because it was nasty. Crystal wasn't sleeping through the night and I remember being 19 and having to get up in the middle of the night to feed her. But that's another story.

So my advice is get your son whatever it is he likes. If he doesn't like anything in particular then get him a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ds (3yo) is getting tractors from the baby. Ds says the baby plays with trucks & other toys in my belly. Ds already received a doll & baby carrier.

A nursing basket must work for some people, but it sounds hard to keep up with to me. You have to make sure the basket is put away when you are not nursing and replenish the basket with new things (I talked to a mom who got dollar store toys). I suspect it would be a power struggle for ds because he would want the basket when I wasn't nursing.

I'm hoping to keep a snack tray and drinks preprepared in a place where ds can help himself. I also plan to nurse with a wrap so I can help ds at the same time. Ds loves to read books with me so I think we will be doing that a lot during nursing.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
We didn't bother. DD2 was present enoough for DD1 (27 months old at DD2s birth), it turns out. She was really thrilled to have the baby and no toy would have been a big thrill for a couple weeks, really. Grandma came to visit and help for a few days, and that was fantastic in DD1s eyes (mine too, Mom cooked, did laundry and vacuumed as well as played with DD1 all day).

I never have anything special for DD1 to do while DD2 nurses. Sometimes I'll get her started coloring or something like that when I know DD2 will want to nurse soon. But I think DD2 is a really quick nurser, so that probably helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.