Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you put up with your pressure canner? Which canner do you have and would you recommend it?

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I have 3 pressure canners... a Mirro, a Presto, and my favorite All-American 925, which is the only one I would recommend. I use water bath canning only for pickles and jam. I use pressure canning even for tomatoes because hybrid tomatoes are not necessarily acidic enough to ensure safety.<br><br>
I use my pressure canners to put up corn, beans, carrots, squash, peas, chow-chow, tomatoes, tomato sauce (marinara sauce), chicken, turkey, lamb, ground beef, beef stew, soups, goulash, salsa, potatoes, various other vegetables or legumes I might get my hands on.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
We have an all-american pressure canner (the smaller one), and I love it. Mostly I use it for tomatoes - two years ago I canned 90+ quarts and a couple dozen pints of tomatoes.. Last year I only did 50 or so odd cans. This year, I'd like to do 90+ again, but we'll see.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Last year was my first year with my pressure cooker--I did green beans, dried beans, soup, and tomatoes.<br><br>
I like tomatoes done in a water bath better better, I think, but it's only been one year, so it might have been the year. The texture is a little different. My Ball Blue book lists water bath canning as okay for the tomatoes (you add lemon juice, which we like), so I feel like it's a safe option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts