Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I would love to chat about what steps you are taking to prevent the likelihood of miscarriage. I will do just about anything.

I am taking loads of supplements, like the ones I was taking before pregnancy, and drinking a strong herbal infusion daily of red clover, RRL, Nettle, holy basil teas.

If you are curious or have feedback on my supps I would love to hear it. I am taking vitex 800 mg, B6 50 mg, progest cream, methylfolate 1000mcg, NAC, zinc, mag glycinate and malate, b complex, fish oil, only 500-1000 mg vut c, and PABA. I recently stopped taking ubiquinol unsure of its safety.

What are you taking? What did you stop taking if anything?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Writermama12,
Good luck to you! Sounds like you are doing everything you can. I'm 5-6 weeks pregnant right now and have had cramping and some bleeding. I had a blood test yesterday and will repeat it tomorrow to confirm pregnancy and make sure HGC levels are going in the right direction.

My overall philosophy is that if I miscarry, then it was because the pregnancy wouldn't have been good for me or baby. It's the natural way of my body saying "This isn't the one." Of course that is much easier said than felt, especially if someone has struggled several times staying pregnant.

I'm drinking lots of water, remembering to breathe, taking prenatal vitamins, drinking grapefruit juice every morning, and kefir in the afternoons to promote health.

I'm 37 yrs old and have a 5 1/2 yr old son. I started taking SSRI's after several traumatic events and extreme insomnia about a year and a half ago. I am currently almost weaned off of them, and trying to stay calm (ha!). I'm off caffeine (only had a tiny amount before anyway), and I've stopped drinking alcohol. I don't eat beef or pork. And the thought of shellfish right now makes me want to hurl.

I'm not familiar with the link between the supplements you are taking and healthy pregnancy. Have you taken them before? Does it feel right to you? If so, then go for it! I'd love to hear more about how you decided to take them.

Hi all, I would love to chat about what steps you are taking to prevent the likelihood of miscarriage. I will do just about anything.

I am taking loads of supplements, like the ones I was taking before pregnancy, and drinking a strong herbal infusion daily of red clover, RRL, Nettle, holy basil teas.

If you are curious or have feedback on my supps I would love to hear it. I am taking vitex 800 mg, B6 50 mg, progest cream, methylfolate 1000mcg, NAC, zinc, mag glycinate and malate, b complex, fish oil, only 500-1000 mg vut c, and PABA. I recently stopped taking ubiquinol unsure of its safety.

What are you taking? What did you stop taking if anything?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and what you are doing! I have never needed so many supplements before to get pregnant but it took a long time this time and it seems these supps really helped balance my hormones and strengthen my fertility and egg quality, and thus now that I finally got pregnant it is really hard to know which to keep and which to ditch, and which would be best not to stop taking cold turkey. Like vitex and progest cream, definitely don't want to stop those. But I am unsure about the others. I sought out answers and have decided it is safe and better to stop taking an antioxidant I was taking, and NAC, only because there is n't much research about it during pregnancy, but I am still on the fence about PABA>

HOw I came to take them? I read a ton. PABA aids in cellular regeneration and in folic acid production, and susan weed recommends it as it has been found to increase fertility massively. The others each also do important things, liver support or pituitary stimulation or hormone regulation...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi there! The stress of miscarriage is so strong. I agree with the philosophy that if I miscarry this wasn't the one but I also got pregnant really easily and I am 32 so there's a great deal less pressure.

I am not really doing anything in particular. I have a little bit of cramping which always freaks me out but I think it is normal to some degree. I am still nursing my 22 month old so I have been taking prenatals since I conceived with him. I am being more diligent with them now. I have stopped drinking and smoking pot (which seems like a fairly obvious move towards maternal health but thought I would mention it). I went for a run today for the first time in two weeks and it kicked my butt but I think I am doing better today because if it. I only run for 20 minutes on a treadmill at this awesomely cheap local gym but it makes me feel like a total sporty spice.

When I got pregnant before, I was taking a combination of witch hazel, yarrow and vitex. When I got a BFP my midwife recommended that I stop taking it immediately so it gives me a little pause that you are taking the vitex. Has someone recommended that to you? Do you have a care provider who isn't so wrapped up in western medicine that they are open to it?

These next few weeks are going to be tough! The increased discharge from pregnancy has me convinced a million times a day that I am bleeding. Then I go to the bathroom and thankfully nothing.

Something to keep in mind is that a little spotting doesn't always spell disaster. I bled for SO long with my first pregnancy. Seventeen weeks of nonstop blood. It was HORRIBLE. I had a zillion ultrasounds because I was so wigged out. I am trying to be cooler and calmer with this one but it isn't easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.