Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right spot to put this thread.

I am looking for advice on preventing streatch marks for my DD during puberty. Two big ones just showed up on the side of her butt cheeks and I'm sure they are just the first of many.

DD is 10.5 and is in the midst of puberty. I think things are going to start happening pretty fast. She has breasts; not buds, she is just over 5ft tall and 100lbs, no period yet but we're expecting it anytime now. She is not overweight but she is growing very fast, which is my concern.

I was wondering if anyone here has any advice for preventing or minimalizing streatch marks. I would have loved to have avoided them when I was growing up.

I've been told to try Bio Oil by a few poeple but they haven't actually tried it they've just heard about it. I'm wondering if it is safe first thing and if it works.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Other than using some kind of oil or lotion daily to help with skin elasticity, there isn't much to do. Stretch marks are hereditary-- it has to do with her underlying skin composition.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Maybe just talking to her about how they are a natural and perfectly ok part of the human body, rather than something to be ashamed of and frantically try to cover up and get rid of.

I think that puberty is a very dangerous time to be trying to "correct" something on your daughter's body- it could lead to a lifelong body image complex. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I personally wouldn't put the idea into her head that streach marks are undesireable in the first place.
:
I actually like mine from puberty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have stretch marks on my hips and upper thighs from puberty, and they are impossible to see unless I've got a tan on my hips. Then they are some squiggly pale lines. I'm 30 now, and remember that they were already invisible by the time I graduated from high school, and barely noticeable within weeks after they first appeared.

Incidentally, I just had a baby (my first) and didn't get any stretch marks from pregnancy! I didn't do anything special with lotions or anything, but I have been taking a (prenatal) multivitamin and fish oil supplement for over a year. That's the only thing I can think of that's different since I was a teen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It always amazes me on here how some assume so much from a simple question.

I'm not sure what gave some the idea that I haven't discussed the fact that they are perfectly natural, lots of people have them, they fade with time, etc with DD. I am not frantic to cover them up or making her feel ashamed of them … I am quite aware of the delicate nature of body image with DD.

I didn't think there was any harm in looking into a way to avoid or minimalize them during the couple of years she'll be rapidly growing.

ETA: Thank you to those with some ideas, i will look into them

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got lots of strtchmarks in puberty and really wished I knew how to avoid them by taking care of my skin.
I also got loads more in my pregnancies, although I tried the commonly suggested ones.
The one I got a lot of help from is here- it faded most of my pregnancy marks, and working on the 20yr old marks too. They arent disappearing, but have faded about 50%.
Its expensive, but its organic- and maybe she'll not need much.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by annran View Post
I got lots of strtchmarks in puberty and really wished I knew how to avoid them by taking care of my skin.
I also got loads more in my pregnancies, although I tried the commonly suggested ones.
The one I got a lot of help from is here- it faded most of my pregnancy marks, and working on the 20yr old marks too. They arent disappearing, but have faded about 50%.
Its expensive, but its organic- and maybe she'll not need much.
I got lots during puberty as well, wish I'd at least tried lotion each morning and night.

DD is not upset about the couple that have just showed up, she know they'll fade. She was just wondering about trying to avoid more if possible.

I've been trying to get her drink more water forever and she has extremely dry skin so I'm always telling her to put cream on - maybe now that she wants to avoid stretch marks she'll actually listen to me and make it routine. She's been on track since she noticed the couple that showed up on her butt.

Thanks for the link, I may look into it to fade my own. Mine from puberty are pretty faint but the ones from my pregnancy with DD 11 years ago just don't seem to be fading …

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.