Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that prevnar has soy protein, is this correct?
If we are dealing with non Ige allergies (allergic colitis) and are elimintaing dairy/soy, is it likely my 5 month old will react to this vaccination?

I am being told NO by pediatrician, GI and allergist. Allergist alos said I should only need to avoid dairy and soy and be ok with trace amounts of casein and soy lechitin and oils. He was wrong as I have to avoid all dairy and all soy or he has blood streaked stool, green, fussy, spits up... etc etc

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
With an IgE allergy, they can sometimes tolerate lecithin and soybean oil. Not sure if anyone on here with a soy intolerance can tolerate either of them. I know my two kids can't. Trace amounts keep their gut from healing. I haven't met an allergist yet who has a clue about non-IgE food reactions (intolerances). Usually the GI docs know more. My DD2 had two shots at one of her appointments, and one of them got hard and hot for a couple days. I thought for sure it was the one that had egg in it, but nope, she reacted to the other one (and she was an egg-intolerance at the time).

I don't know what any of the vaccines contain though. And there are many on here that will have more opinions about vaccines. I'm just coming at it from the "trust your gut, mama" point of view, where if he reacts to things, you're smart to stay away from them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh! This is so confusing for me. Why would the allergist say it was NON IGE but trace amounts of dairy and soy are fine? It angers me because it confuses me.

Last time he had his shots at 4 months, one of them had bovine fetus in it and he had a horrible reaction (blood streaked green stools, which may seem mild but horrible to us) and the pediatrician consulted with our GI and the said the shots would in no way cause a reaction for him.

He is due for HIB and PREVNAR tomorrow when we go and I just don't know what to say, do or ask because they are saying it can't cause reactions? I think HIB is safe, I did not see any dairy/soy ingredients on the website I was on.

I need to go in and just ask the dr my questions and tell him maybe we should just be doing HIB. If I don't do HIB does that mean IF he outgrows this and I start vaccinating that he will have to start all the shots over? Re-do some he has already done?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Having food allergies is a contraindication for vax's. I would strongly suggest you do some fast research before making that decision. Having additional vaxes once food allergies are in place can make things much, much worse. In fact, they can help trigger them in the first place. No mainstream doc will tell you this but please be aware. Your LO has already had a vax reaction. IMHO he REALLY doesn't need this additional stress on his little system and you could see some bad stuff coming your way. Don't mean to sound alarmist but I feel very strongly about this.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
You never have to restart the series and you can finish it at any time (though at older ages, it may not be necessary per the CDC, since fewer doses are sometimes needed at older ages). The only vaccine that is time-sensitive is rotavirus, in that they will not give it after 6 months, but there's no harm in giving fewer doses than are on the schedule, except possibly less immunity conferred.

I should be up-front and share that we no longer vaccinate at all, but I still think it's reasonable, at minimum, to take a bit longer to be more comfortable with which vaccines you do/don't want given your situation. I personally think that given a child with pre-existing immune system problems, and I include allergies in that category, I think those should be resolved before deliberately doing something to alter the functioning of the immune system. I think there are systemic risks that are not necessarily specific to ingredients in any individual vaccine. I know not everyone could be comfortable with that approach, though, which is why I recommended the first (make a decision before you go into the appointment). The thing is, it's hard to get past the "vaccination is always good" research bias that there's just not enough information for doctors to be able to confidently say "this is safe" or "this is not safe."

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I agree with all the PPs. Once you vax you can't undo it. If you aren't sure, then I strongly suggest you delay until you can do more research. There is no harm in waiting a few weeks. Stay strong and do what you are comfortable with, and don't let the doctor pressure you into doing something you are not comfortable with!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have researched so much and remain unsure. I don't know how to weigh the pro's /con's. Its just hard and confusing!! I would feel so guilty if he was to end up with meningitis or something as a result of not vaccinating but I hate what I am putting into his 5 month old body. He has the non IGE allergies, and he was born 2 months premature. He's doing fantastic but still. Its very hard to weigh it all.

He has recieved all of his shots up until this point on a staggered schedule, but he's been reacting to soy/dairy in my milk the whole time and who knows if he was reacting to the shots too. My guess is, yes he was.

My gut is saying maybe just do HIB and save prevnar for much later since it contains soy. I don't see any soy/dairy in HIB.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would reschedule your appointment and do some research first. Don't go in until you feel comfortable with your decision. He's not going to die from HiB or Pneumonia in the mean-time. Both of those vaxs also need fewer shots if you wait until he's older.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I just want to reiterate. RESCHEDULE your appt. You are not sure what you want to do. If you go in tomorrow it is a certainty you will give him both shots - they will pressure and scare you into it. You cannot undue that. Give yourself a few more weeks like PP said to do more, more, more research and make a well informed decision that you are firm in.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Are you breastfeeding? That's the best protection for the diseases that hib and prevnar are supposed to prevent.

We delayed vaccines with our older children, so they got them eventually, but didn't start until after age 2. Now that my younger children have allergies, I am not vaxing them at all until/unless their bodies heal from these problems. Their immune systems are out of whack as it is, vaccines (I'm convinced) will only do more damage.

I agree that you should reschedule. You can't take back these shots once you give them. Make sure it's what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Now that my younger children have allergies, I am not vaxing them at all until/unless their bodies heal from these problems. Their immune systems are out of whack as it is, vaccines (I'm convinced) will only do more damage.
I agree with this. I had planned to vax DD but when I discovered she had intolerances I researched it and have decided not to consider vaxing at all until her body heals (and may not vax at all after everything I've learned). DD's pediatrician is supportive and confirmed that intolerances are a contraindication to vaccines because the immune system is out of whack, meaning she is at an increased risk for an adverse effect from the vaccines. Have you read anything from Dr. Sherri Tenpenny? She has some good books and other info out there on vaccines.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the book reference. Any quick online references to contraindication to vaccines? Its very logical.

THe reasearch on the vaccines is hard for me to absorb, stats and studies etc. I am not able to get a full picture because I can't comprehend half of the info.

We do want to vax, just not on their schedule. I do breastfeed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we declined the prevnar and did hib and synagis, i feel ok about it and so far so good but i know i have to watch him for the next few days. thank you for your help, i love this community!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.