Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a soy/dairy allergic daughter and just learned that the Prevnar vax contains soy protein. It seems that this is a contraindication not to get this vaccine? Anyone out there whose LO has a soy allergy and received Prevnar? What are your experiences? Thanks so much!

· Registered
2,569 Posts
I know you didn't exactly ask this question I'm about to "answer" but most natural health care providers (ND's and the like) will tell you that having any food allergy/intollerance issues are a contraindication for getting any vaccines at all. Any vaccine is likely to make the food issues worse - whether it's made with soy protein or not.

· Registered
2,365 Posts
ITA with Mary. You can always vax later if you feel the risk of being unvaxed outweighs the risks of vaxing a child with allergies (who is already immuno-comprimised). You cannot unvax. I wish I could, maybe DD1 would not have the problems she has now to such a severe degree.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Well, I didn't know Prevnar had soy protein in it so thanks for sharing. DD had 3 Prevnar shots - at 2,4, and 6 months. She has a pretty significant reaction to soy (the worst of all her reactions). Truthfully, I didn't notice a reaction to the Prevnar shot but at the time I didn't realize she was reacting at all and we had her on Soy formula as a supplement almost every day too.

So, that's probably no help to you at all. But the bottom line is the Prevnar didn't seem to significantly worsen her GI symptoms or cause immediate reactions. We will never know what kind of long term damage was done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.