Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm not finding it in my forum search.

I'm building up a pretty big stash already, and nothing is prewashed- I have a lot of fitteds (velour, cotton, and 1 hemp), covers (Imse Vimse, Bummis SWW, Proraps, and some fleece), a few AIO's and a lot of doublers, wipes, etc. My question is- can I do a big load and wash everything once all at once? I know to air dry the covers, but would dry everything else. Is it OK to just do everything all together and just prewash once before using? Can I mix baby clothes in with the diapers to prewash them at the same time? Do I need to worry about separately/individually washing things that are brightly colored (nearly everything is colored except the doublers)?

I have a lot of wool as well, but I know that to wash that by hand separately and to lanolize before using. I also have a TON of prefolds, but I am handdying and embellishing them this summer, so they've been prewashed, and will be washed again after I prettify them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wash the fleece separately from the cotton and hemp stuff, because you don't want the oils from the cotton and hemp to coat the fleece and make it repel.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK- thanks for the advice about the fleece...

Do I need to be concerned about colors bleeding? Or are most WAHM-made diapers made using prewashed materials to prevent bleeding?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump!

1. Do I need to worry about bleeding when washing dipes for the first time?

2. Do new dipes (not prefolds) need to be washed and dried more than once before using them the first time?

Here's my plan- let me know if it sounds bad-

Handwash and lanolize all wool.
Wash and dry all prefolds in a load (they've all been washed more than 5 times already).
Boil the hemp stuff for 20 minutes, then wash and dry once.
Wash and dry all cotton and velour fitteds, AIO's and covers in a load together once. (After the initial dry, I'll air dry the covers and AIO's).

What do you think? I know it sounds crazy anal, but I just want to know. My SIL is getting ready to CD, and I think I'll be using mine sooner than I thought too, so I am just trying to make my to-do lists for later. Thanks for humoring me, and helping me out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts