Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am 22 weeks pregnant with baby #2. My daughter is 18mo- I had a MW attended hospital birth with my daughter- but I was induced r/t pre-eclampsia. In retrospect I feel that it was not needed at the time, to say the least it was a terrible experience. I was in labor 36+ hours, 18 hours of really hard-hard labor with pitocin running at the highest rate. My body was not ripe to give birth and the baby was forced out of me. The pain was absolutely insane
I would have eaten battery acid if someone told me it would help.
:
When I found out that Iwas pregnant again I knew i needed to take completely different route. I started reading Ina May Gaskin and Birthing from within--I am so excited to have a waterbirth at home
I am confident most of the time, I believe that birth is a perfect process when left to nature, but I do have momnets of complete panic because of my prior experience with pitocin- I am so afraid that I will not be able to handle the pain- has anyone had a similar experience? How was the pain of induction compared to natural- thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Well, I had a Pit-induced birth with my son, and a homebirth with my daughter. I had an epidural with my induction, so I can't compare the pain levels, but I will say that my natural birth was *much* easier. I was going with my body instead of fighting it every step of the way.

Ina May's book - the birth stories especially - helped me prepare for my natural birth so much. I read it over and over. You're gonna be just fine, mama. You can do it!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Every mama I have ever met who's had both Pit induction and natural labor says that Pit labor is MUCH worse---double-peaking contractions, unnaturally hard and long, etc. I was induced with Pit for my first and am hoping that it's true that natural labor is much more manageable! (We are planning a home birth this time.)

On a side note, I recommend reading about Dr. Brewer's pregnancy diet. His research has shown that it dramatically reduces preeclampsia, HELLP, etc. The diet suggests 100 grams of protien a day, salting your food to taste, drinking lots of water, etc. It might be something you can talk to your provider about to see if you want to try it. You can read about it here:

http://www.blueribbonbaby.org

Hugs and best wishes for a beautiful birth!

Jen
mom to Aaron, my sweet, silly 2 year old

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Indigo, I SO understand what you are saying, I would have drank the battery acid, too...as a matter of fact I DO recall the Dr. saying "we may have to remove the baby via c-section" with my reply being "Remove him out my G-D'd ear if you have to, take the damn thing out - NOW!"
Not a memorable birth experiance!

It's the pit. - it's the hospital...you have to really believe that!
Read POSITIVE birth stories & have long talks with yourself...it will take time but you'll get there!
I am planning a HBA4C next time.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the supportive replies
I have read alot about pit, but it helps hearing from people who have experienced it versus textbook.I will look into the Brewers diet too. thanks again

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by indigo515 View Post
Hi I am 22 weeks pregnant with baby #2. My daughter is 18mo- I had a MW attended hospital birth with my daughter- but I was induced r/t pre-eclampsia. In retrospect I feel that it was not needed at the time, to say the least it was a terrible experience. I was in labor 36+ hours, 18 hours of really hard-hard labor with pitocin running at the highest rate. My body was not ripe to give birth and the baby was forced out of me. The pain was absolutely insane
I would have eaten battery acid if someone told me it would help.
:

I am confident most of the time, I believe that birth is a perfect process when left to nature, but I do have momnets of complete panic because of my prior experience with pitocin- I am so afraid that I will not be able to handle the pain- has anyone had a similar experience? How was the pain of induction compared to natural- thanks for any advice

I had a pre-e pitocin induced hospital birth with #1. My labor was probably about 17hrs total. My epi didn't take well and I did feel contractions when it wore off. What was much worse than the pit induced contractions was the heartburn. I would take any contractions over the pain of severe heartburn while in labor. The pain didn't get to nearly unbearable until I neared transition and that was about 10 min prior to dd's birth. The vocalization thing and long deep breathing really helped me and I did get a break in between contractions. I was alone with a toddler for most of my labor but I felt well prepared and managed well.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I had a pit labor with dd1. Very hard on my body and I imagine it was hard on dd too. My next birth was a waterbirth @ home and it was almost painless- pushing (or rather, his roaring down the birth canal) was not painless but it was a short part of the whole labor. My third birth was also a WB @ home and painful but in a different sort of way than pit labor (nuchal hand)... it was a short labor and though painful it was not painful in the way that pitocin was.

Pitocin feels like your body being turned inside out to get the baby out- normal labor is much much much different.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My first was induced and my 2nd was natural and they were like night and day. I'm sure much of the difference had to do with the pitocin contractions and the AROM contractions but I also know that a big difference was how I handled the pain. I had a doula with the natural birth and she helped me to relax with each contraction and as soon as I figured out how to stop fighting the contractions and relax into them, most of the pain went away. I think if i had not figured that out, it would have been MUCH more painful. Overall - the experience was not very painful at all. Intense, but not much pain. You can do this mama!!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
My second is due late Feb early March and I can understand so much! I am feeling the same thing!
Although my first labor was 6 hours it felt like one long contraction almost flat on my back so that the monitor was going to read correctly.
If I can't find a MW for a HB that poor dr will have to drug me and drag me to the hospital for an induction unless I think it is needed.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Good luck to you! I was induced with my first and it was a 27 hour labor of agony with two hours of pushing. My second dd was born at home in the water after 6 hours of easy labor and just a few pushes. Not saying it didn't hurt, but it was nothing NOTHING like my first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm wondering about this one myself.

I was induced with pitocin with my twins. No epi or anything. It was manageable, but honestly if labor is like that again I don't want to do it even though this baby's due in ten weeks LOL.

I can't imagine that anything could be as terrible as my labor/birth with my twins. I wasn't "allowed" to move or shower or use any means of trying to reduce my pain. This time around I'm having a home waterbirth and I'll labor/birth the way I want to no matter what even if I go to the hospital.

I'm also extending on the natural mode of hypnobirthing that I did last time, only this time I'm recognizing that I naturally move into that state on my own and expanding on it.

I honestly don't think even a BIG single baby could compare to what I went through with my twins.

Good luck! I guess I'll be reporting the "difference" when this baby's done cooking as well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
All 3 of my previous children were born at 42 weeks by induction.. That was my "cut off".. I had pitocin and didn't use pain meds and I did just fine so I'm not worried about a homebirth AT ALL. From what I have heard and read, pitocin makes your contractions MUCH harder and longer, so I think if you can handle that, then natural birth should be a breeze.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Oh, my gosh, my first and third babies were born after totally natural labor. My second baby was a 42 week induction. Even though my second was my shortest labor, it was far and away my hardest. The thing with natural labor is, there are BREAKS between the contrax! With my induction, it just seemed to be one looong contrax, peaking over and over again. I had cytotek, though, not pit, and from what I've heard it's somewhat different, but still. I found natural labor to be quite manageable, though lots of very hard work. The induced labor, though...if it hadn't been so fast, I would have had to have pain meds, I think. I just couldn't get ahead of the pain to get even a little relaxed. I remember struggling against it.

Sending you mega no-PE vibes and hoping you have exactly the birth you want!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.