Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions. My DD is only 4 mo. old but DH and I are already thinking about her schooling. We're very unhappy with the public schools in our area and there are a few very good and progressive- but expensive- private schools. If we budget, with a lot of effort and cutting back elsewhere we may be able to afford one- but it will nix our plan to save to send her to college without loans... do you think it is better to spend the money on her early schooling and let her take out loans for college?? or is it better to save the money and let her begin post-college life debt free?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Personally, I'd opt for college over private school. But it would depend on how bad the public schools are. We live where we live because we have good schools.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
My kids are young, so this isn't an issue for us yet, but I'd go for the private schools if they are really what you are looking for and if homeschooling is not an option.<br><br>
There are options for college, from grants to loans to scholarships. These options do not exist for private schools.<br><br>
Unless the schools offer financial aid, as many do. Maybe you could get a break on the tuition and only have to pay half of it, and then can put the other half toward college.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the perspectives. I have a lot of time to decide obviously. This is my first child and there's just so many important decisions to make! This board is helpng me learn alot about alternatives to public schools.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
We opted for private school -- DS starts next fall, so I can't tell you if its worth it or not yet. A few things to keep in mind. Many private schools have scholarship funds available but they don't advertise that fact. We asked and are only paying 1/2 tuition at a very expensive school. Some schools also give really good discounts for employees, for church members (if church affiliated) and such. It pays to ask!<br><br>
My thinking was that college was a long way away. Lots can change between now and then, including our financial picture (which I do expect to improve each year going forward), the availability of loans and financial aid, and the relatives price of tuition. I also figure he will have a better chance at merit scholarships if he gets a top-notch education from the beginning. I also think that he's more likely to go to college if he enjoys learning and he's more likely to do that in a small class, highly varied curriculum, settting. I fear that in public school (even though ours are better than most) he might be turned off of learning early because of the atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">do you think it is better to spend the money on her early schooling and let her take out loans for college?? or is it better to save the money and let her begin post-college life debt free?</td>
</tr></table></div>
Well, if you wanted, YOU could also take out loans for her when she's in college. There are particular parents' students loans.<br><br>
For me personally, what would I rather, if you were my parents? I rather a quality education. If that meant starting my adult life with some debt, then that's simply the price. Debt gets paid off. Her education will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
808 Posts
We have chosen to send our kids to private school and have not been saving for college as a result. Right now, our way of thinking is that 1) hopefully we'll be able to save more later 2) we are already budgeting for paying for school and it is about what tuition at the state university costs so when we get to that point, it will be part of our budget 3) we are willing to take out loans if need be 4) hopefully with an excellent education our kids will be able to qualify for some scholarships. We are 10 years away from when our dd#1 will be starting college so a lot can happen before then. If either of our kids winds up at public middle school or high school, we plan to save the money we would otherwise spend on private school and use it for college.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts