Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I took a picture of something I wanted to share but don't know how to add it in to the post, and of course that might not even be allowed anyway, so I guess I'll just explain.

I live in Spain, and get a teaching magazine with materials for the preschool/kindergarten classroom. Each month they feature a wall calendar, and this month the theme is "World Food Day-- Oct. 16th." Around the calendar are drawings of different people eating different types of food, but the largest drawing by far is in the bottom left corner and it shows a woman breastfeeding her baby! I thought that was pretty neat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kim, if you want I can send the picture to you. I didn't see any email address listed in your profile but you can email me at madridkate9 at yahoo dot com if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Thats so cool. I lived in Salamanca for a year, and loved it. I would *LOVE* to go back and raise my son there. Its just such a different culture, different way of looking at the world... I miss it SOO much!!

ETA: Oh! A quick question... are you still allowed to smoke in Bars/restaurants?? When I left they'd just passed the law that you couldn't - unless the bar/restaurant/whatever had a sign saying you could
So, of course in all of Salamanca there were like 2 bars where you couldn't
So... is it still the same way??

·
Registered
259 Posts
I lived in Spain for a while, and I will never forget the billboard for Prenatal (a baby/kids store) that was a photo of a woman's bare breasts in close up (this was about 6-7 yrs ago). Like that would ever happen in the States where breasts are so sexualized/fetishized!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
ETA: Oh! A quick question... are you still allowed to smoke in Bars/restaurants?? When I left they'd just passed the law that you couldn't - unless the bar/restaurant/whatever had a sign saying you could
So, of course in all of Salamanca there were like 2 bars where you couldn't
So... is it still the same way??
Yes, the small bars can choose whether or not to allow smoking, but the larger restaurants can't, and now you can no longer smoke in stores, banks, etc. Thank goodness!

I really like living here. However, they have a highly medicalized approach to birth-- it's practically impossible to have a natural childbirth in a hospital or clinic here. You can go with no meds, but they still hook you up to monitors and confine you to a bed pretty much as soon as you are admitted, and, well, I could go on, but it's too depressing-- I'm pregnant with number 3 now and my only hope is to arrive at the hospital as late as possible so there's no time for all the interventions...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.