Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My LO is 5 months old and I have been doing the TED by Dr. Sears for about 6 weeks. I am now down to only eating quinoa in all forms, lamb, pears, domino sugar, EVOO, sea salt, and supplements. Her diapers were getting better but then we started her on klaire labs probiotics a little about 1.5 weeks ago and her diapers have gotten worse. I heard that it can get worse before it gets betters. But how long do I wait for it to get better? She has been having stinky gas off and on and off smelling diapers, green mucusy poops. Where before she was having the normal EBF diaper smell, no seeds but mostly yellow and some mucus occasionally. I just felt like we were finally moving forward and now It feels like a huge step backwards since we put her on the probiotics. I just need help in what to do.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kara</p>

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Klaire probiotics have additional ingredients if I'm remembering correctly. Do they have FOS? That can definitely cause problems in some people. Kirkman Labs makes an infant dairy-free probiotic with no FOS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
<p>Yes, for sure it could be the probiotics. My son and I had thrush for the first two months after he was born. I started giving him probiotics to help him fight off the yeast since other treatments weren't proving helpful. Before I gave it to him he had textbook breastfed poop. They got increasingly orange in color and lost their seediness. Then they went green, then they had blood. I realized that the probiotic contained dairy and soy. I have an allergic child so he reacted really badly and we are still dealing with it months later. It sounds to me that this isn't one of those "it gets worse before it gets better" - at least from my experience probiotics themselves can be the problem (and its almost impossible to find one that doesn't contain some traces of allergens!) Hope this helps!</p>

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
It's a <span style="text-decoration:underline;">pre</span>biotic, sometimes listed as inulin, usually derived from chicory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts