Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll cross-post this in the breastfeeding forum as well. I just came across the info. on taking probiotics for your health, and saw that you can put a little on your nipples before your baby nurses so they can get some too. Is this really a necessary thing considering how many "magical powers" breastmilk has in it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think it's something that's *necessary*, but probiotics are great for fighting and preventing yeast. Nursing moms can pass yeast infections on to babies.
Personally, I only used probiotics for myself or my son if either I knew I had a yeast infection or he did, or had been eating more sugar than usual and thought I might get one. But as for giving them to him (via the breast, or on my finger, whatever) I only resorted to that if he already was showing signs of a yeast infection (like a yeast rash).
The rest of the time I just made sure that I ate yogurt a few times a week, as long as it wasn't with added sugar.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If you take them the baby will get the benefit, anyway, although I don't think it hurts to give some to the baby, too. There are lots of situations where even a breast-fed baby needs probiotics (C-section birth, if either of you've had antibiotics, if the baby is vaccinated) If you do, though, as long as the baby is EBF he should only get bifidus strain, not acidophilus (because 99% of the good bacteria in an EBF baby's gut is bifidus). As far as I know Natren Life Start is the only bifidus only baby probiotic available in the US.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts