Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 3 week old is very gassy. lots of tooting and tummy rumblings. in the evening it's really bad. the only soother is my breast in his mouth. 24/7. (my nipples may just fall off!)
we've tried EVERYTHING! i read about probiotics for colicky infants. anyone have success with them? what brand and how do you administer them?
help!

·
Registered
763 Posts
We used probiotics with DS - not so much for colic and gas (though he did have some good gas!), but rather because he'd had lots of bowel issues and I wanted to help him rebalance his little system. I used the Genestra brand and he was happy to suck it off my finger.

It probably can't hurt - you might also want to take the probitiocs yourself along with some digestive enzymes. I understand that these can help ensure that your gut is fully processing the proteins in your food and hence reduce the amount of irritating protein that could makie into your breastmilk.

All that said, I tend to think that many times it's just their little guts getting going - and it will clear itself up in time no matter what we do.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
I gave probiotics to my son for different reasons. Types made for babies are usually powders and it's easy to mix a bit (dosages are usually on the bottle) in 1-2 teaspoons of water and squirt it into their mouth with a medicine syringe from the drugstore. I've read of studies that definitely seemed to show that it helped with colic, so I'd go for it. H&H would have recommendations on specific brands (I think Natren and Solaray are recommended most, but I used Jarrow and I think that was definitely better than nothing). Good luck!

ETA: after reading the next poster's advice--I had to stop wheat & dairy while my son was young (added some in around 4mo and it was ok)... food allergies can show up like this, seems sorta common.... baby waking, good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am a huge dairy fan.... love ice cream and cheese and all that jazz,, my ds was colicky and our naturopath suggested to stop ALL dairy.. I did and have had a happy baby since... that was 6 months ago!!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmingmom View Post
I am a huge dairy fan.... love ice cream and cheese and all that jazz,, my ds was colicky and our naturopath suggested to stop ALL dairy.. I did and have had a happy baby since... that was 6 months ago!!
Me too! I had to stop dairy also because of the breastmilk.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I've been using them because DD had seven days of antibiotics immediately after birth for meconium/fluid inhalation. It does seem to help, although I started block feeding at the same time so I don't know how much of her relief is due to one or the other switch.

The type I'm using suggests dipping your nipple in the powder before a feeding for breastfed infants. DD liked this method much better than getting it mixed in expressed breastmilk and fed to her with a small cup. It looks bizarre but she latches on like it is not even there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.