Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone suggested to us that probiotics might help our newborn's horrible gas problems. I've already cut out dairy so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Are there any dairy-free probiotics? Is there such a thing?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
First, yes there are dairy free probiotics - I just Googled "Diary-free probiotic" and came up with lots of hits. I can't recommend one though, since we use Jarro-dophilus.

It is my understanding that if the mom takes a good probiotic the baby will get what it needs through the milk. However, I've also heard it's ok to open a capsule and sprinkle a small amount on your nipple before baby nurses. I'll be interested to see more responses to this.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I gave my DS probiotics from 4 weeks on. When he was that small I just put the powder on my finger and dumped it in his mouth. He liked it. I switched back and forth between New Chapter All Flora, which is the best adult formula out there IMO, and Udos Infant Probiotic which has L. Infantis a baby specific bacteria. It helped a ton with my DS gas and food sensitivities back when he was new. Now at 10 months I give it to him for immune health as well. He has never been sick! People often don't realize that the immune response is initiated in the gut, and the more beneficial bacteria you have the less chance viruses and bacteria have of colonizing you.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I just wanted to add... babies' guts are very different than ours so be sure to use an infant-specific formula.

(We use Natren's Life Start for the baby and my older dd uses their Healthy Start.)

hth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.